Tree Identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bhildreth

I was out walking in my woods and noticed this dead standing tree. It looks like it has been dead for a few years as most of the branches are gone. Any guesses? Elm maybe?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 170
Elm does loose it's bark like that. Too stringy for me

Black Gum or maybe maple? I say that because I think those are gum saplings / weeds in the pictures, I also may see and 1 green maple leaf in the second picture, lower left corner.

Don't know about Gum but the non bark area looks like spalted ( type of rotting) maple. Not what typical elm under the bark looks like when exposed.

That is spalting. Most commonly found in maple, but does occur in other pale hardwoods on occasion. More bark and limb pics would help. You can rule out or confirm elm with a bark cross section view.

Status
Not open for further replies.