Tree identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kyoshoman

May 23, 2024
West Chicago
Based on the attached pictures, can anybody tell me what type of wood this is?

Tree identificationTree identification

Last edited by a moderator:
i'd guess oak but could easily be something else.

If you are going to move wood in your van try finding something like a refrigerator box or 2. Put them on the floor and fold the sides up the walls. Protects the van and makes it much easier to slide the chunks out when unloading.

Reactions: Wisco Shepherd
The only reason I don’t suspect Oak is because it does not smell like the typical oak tree. It has an odd smell, but I can’t figure it out. The bark almost looks like Ash.

The only reason I don’t suspect Oak is because it does not smell like the typical oak tree. It has an odd smell, but I can’t figure it out. The bark almost looks like Ash.
Agree but then inside will be lighter like this.
Tree identification

Does it have the "diamond bark"? Also called x bark.

Bark with wide growth rings and "smells like a barn": I'm thinking Ulmus pumila - Siberian elm.
VT Dendro - Siberian elm

Does black walnut wood have a smell almost like a barn
Black walnut has a unique odor, but I would not describe it as "like a barn." Of course, barns smell differently depending on the livestock/hay/straw/grain/machinery kept in them. I assume your reference to a barn suggests an (at least somewhat) offensive smell. That is not my opinion of walnut. So, if your wood smells like a barn, perhaps it is not black walnut. A closeup shot of the grain would probably help.