Tree's for sale..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
How do I find a company to pay me to cut the tree done and take them away?
I have several straight Oak , good size. I'm in Mass.
Has any one in Mass. done this?

Do you have acreage, with these trees being out in the woods? If they're yard trees then it's unlikely anyone will pay you for them because commercial sawmills won't risk their expensive saw blades on a tree that's likely to have metal in it.

Depending on the number of trees involved, that could be like trying to find some one to come change the oil in your car for free if you give them the used oil.;lol

Reactions: mtarbert
GIven the number of posts for the OP I assume this is troll post?

Troll ?
Does anyone in Mass. have a contact?

Check with any local saw mills for leads on local timber buyers...shoudnt be to hard to find someone...a simple internet search for your area should yield some results.

What Tar12 said ^^^

Or you could advertise you have standing timber for sale in your local paper, CL, or elsewhere.

The reason for the troll post comment is that this question is asked frequently and is the butt of many jokes referring to craigslist posts.

Some things that reduce the value of a log to the value for firewood.

If its anywhere near development like residential houses or even looks like there could have been prior development like a farm most loggers will not go near it due to the likelihood that there could be metal in it.

If the logs are big enough to be worth something for wood, heavy equipment is generally needed to drop it/haul it and with only seven trees I don't think many folks will even turn the key for less then a couple of days of work.

Workmans comp in Mass has turned most loggers into one man operations as they cant afford the insurance. There are not many of them out there and do you really want someone without workmans comp cutting on your land (they may have other insurance but if they get hurt you will be hearing from their lawyer).

At best there are only one or two really good logs per tree, that means there is heck of lot of other wood and brush that someone has to handle. A logger sure wont deal with it just for the value of the wood.

I have helped someone cut 7 or 8 big somewhat urban oaks years ago. We cut them and hauled them on a car trailer to sawmill. Oak will show blue stain in the sawcuts lined up with any old metal in the tree. About 1/3 of the trees we cut had the stains and the sawmill didn't want them. When we figured it all out I think we made far below minimum wage for two days of back breaking work. We would have been far better off dropping them, cutting them in place splitting them and then putting an ad in the paper for self service firewood.

Reactions: CTYank
How do I find a company to pay me to cut the tree done and take them away?
I have several straight Oak , good size. I'm in Mass.
Has any one in Mass. done this?
I wonder if there is enough money in this type of situation for some ambitious individual with a small portable sawmill to make some money? I've often contemplated trying it out. Maybe if I'm not too worn out by the time I retire. Anyway, sorry, can't help with any referrals.

From the wood burner's point of view- you may have trouble finding a scrounger to take your wood for free. I know I wouldn't risk dropping a tree on someone else's house in order to get some firewood.

I got a lot of the wood in my stacks from Craigslist.

The usual model around here is that the tree owner pays a tree service hundreds or thousands of dollars to drop the trees, and the tree service advertises on craigslist to try to get some wood burners to come take the wood from the jobsite so they don't have to haul it off.

It's a good deal for me- while I do have to drive somewhere, the trees are already dropped, limbed, and (unfortunately) bucked into random lengths.

I feel that getting random sized rounds is a fair trade for not having to haul all that wood in from the woods though, and having someone else do half the work.

I can go out into the woods right behind my house for free, so I am not likely to pay for wood in any case.