Tricky clearance to combustibles question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brucek1$

Nov 21, 2017
Cook mn
So im just about finished with my new lopi 1750 stove install with all new selkirk sure-temp chimney to a single wall dripless adapter. Ive attached some pics so you can see what im talking about here but my question is where do my combustibles start on the wall behind my stove? There is the dry stack stone which is between a 1/2"-7/8 think in places and behind that is 1/2 durarock. When i installed the ceiling support i ran a plumb bob down from that to measure what i would have and i had anywhere from 17 3/4 to 18 1/4" of clearance. The Manuel feom the chimney says that you can go off of the stove's clearances for single wall pipe which for the lopi is 17 3/4. Im not really worried but just wanted to hear your guy's thought on my combustables question. Thanks

Attachments

• 20180902_083015.jpg
    20180902_083015.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 20180902_083008.jpg
    20180902_083008.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: kennyp2339
So im just about finished with my new lopi 1750 stove install with all new selkirk sure-temp chimney to a single wall dripless adapter. Ive attached some pics so you can see what im talking about here but my question is where do my combustibles start on the wall behind my stove? There is the dry stack stone which is between a 1/2"-7/8 think in places and behind that is 1/2 durarock. When i installed the ceiling support i ran a plumb bob down from that to measure what i would have and i had anywhere from 17 3/4 to 18 1/4" of clearance. The Manuel feom the chimney says that you can go off of the stove's clearances for single wall pipe which for the lopi is 17 3/4. Im not really worried but just wanted to hear your guy's thought on my combustables question. Thanks
Is that distance to the stone or the combustibles behind it

That is the distance to the stone, kinda varys depending on what piece of stone you measure to
The stone and cement board are non combustible so you are fine. The distance is to the nearest combustible. But pay attention the stove will walk backwards over time putting you to close.

What do you mean the stove will walk backwards?
It will move backwards slowly over time from the forse pf you loading wood and closing the door. That is one reason i always try to exceed minimums.

It will move backwards slowly over time from the forse pf you loading wood and closing the door. That is one reason i always try to exceed minimums.
I get it. The stove its self can be alot closer than what i have it now so im good there and actually going off of that the stone and durarock are non combustable my pipe at a minimum is 18 3/4 away

Is this another stove manual that says the distance to combustibles for the single wall can be less than the 18"?

Wow - that looks great, imo the clearance for combustibles (18") start at the transition piece and go all the way down to the stoves feet, you look like your in good shape though and your install looks awesome, great hearth pad and back wall.
Remember that clearances from combustibles also mean keeping splits away from the stove also, So many times people go to great lengths for the perfect install, but then park 20 pieces of firewood right next to the stove during the burning season, drives me crazy.