Trimming around exposed brick chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

beardley

Burning Hunk
Feb 5, 2009
Cato, NY
I've had the stove installed and running for 4 years now, and I figure its probably about time to finish the trim. The chimney goes straight up through to a chase on the 2nd floor. We have the required sheet metal fireblocking and its caulked all the way around. Based on 211, I can't use wood to close the gap, so I'm looking for suggestions on how and I can trim this out and have it look half way decent.

IMG_2212.JPG

Hardi-trim boards? Looks like rough sawn cedar.

I've had the stove installed and running for 4 years now, and I figure its probably about time to finish the trim. The chimney goes straight up through to a chase on the 2nd floor. We have the required sheet metal fireblocking and its caulked all the way around. Based on 211, I can't use wood to close the gap, so I'm looking for suggestions on how and I can trim this out and have it look half way decent.

View attachment 229528
What type of liner is in the chimney? It is good and very rare to see a chimney that actually has proper clearances.

Hardi-trim boards? Looks like rough sawn cedar.

I'll have to check that out. Is there "wood colored" material, or probably just preprimed?

What type of liner is in the chimney? It is good and very rare to see a chimney that actually has proper clearances.

I framed the house, so I know for certain I have the 2" clearance stem to stern. I even had to make make the mason jog over 1/2" when he came through the first floor, because the beam behind the chimney stuck out a touch too far. He wasn't thrilled, but he did it.

It has clay tile, with a SS flex liner that was just installed a few weeks ago. One thing I missed early on was the proper size of the clay, and it was oversized for the stove, so I've had poor performance, and I'm hoping for a big improvement this year. It's NOT insulated though, but again, I know I have the 2" clearance, and solid clay tiles. (7x11)

I'll have to check that out. Is there "wood colored" material, or probably just preprimed?

I framed the house, so I know for certain I have the 2" clearance stem to stern. I even had to make make the mason jog over 1/2" when he came through the first floor, because the beam behind the chimney stuck out a touch too far. He wasn't thrilled, but he did it.

It has clay tile, with a SS flex liner that was just installed a few weeks ago. One thing I missed early on was the proper size of the clay, and it was oversized for the stove, so I've had poor performance, and I'm hoping for a big improvement this year. It's NOT insulated though, but again, I know I have the 2" clearance, and solid clay tiles. (7x11)
Ok so without insulation you cant put combustible trim there. The cement trim boards are a good option. There are also some decorative metal trims. Or for a rustic look you could use plate steel hammered and painted black. I think that option might look good with the exposed beams etc you have.

And btw goid job on the clearances. I wish more people payed as much attention as you did.

Ok so without insulation you cant put combustible trim there. The cement trim boards are a good option. There are also some decorative metal trims. Or for a rustic look you could use plate steel hammered and painted black. I think that option might look good with the exposed beams etc you have.

mmm, metal trim. I actually have a copper heat shield behind the stove. I could go that route, and distress a piece a copper to a similar color and use that. As its just trim, there wouldn't be any gauge requirements right? I could just use some flashing bent on a break.

And btw goid job on the clearances. I wish more people payed as much attention as you did.

Ironic part is the inspector didn't look at it once, or even ask a question. Didn't measure the stove clearances either. . .

mmm, metal trim. I actually have a copper heat shield behind the stove. I could go that route, and distress a piece a copper to a similar color and use that. As its just trim, there wouldn't be any gauge requirements right? I could just use some flashing bent on a break.

Ironic part is the inspector didn't look at it once, or even ask a question. Didn't measure the stove clearances either. . .

Yeah copper would look great. And yeah any thickness as long as it holds its shape will be just fine.

Yeah in general inspectors dont even know you need clearances which is why masons and carpenters ignore it.

I like the hammered black steel idea. Also the copper would look good. Maybe even hit the copper with a torch to heat color it. The Hardi trim comes in prepainted colors too but would the paint make it combustible? I dont know.

Ironic part is the inspector didn't look at it once, or even ask a question.

as bholler said most inspectors don't even know what they're looking at....

I've installed the stove in my house and helped a few friends install in theirs as well, my insurance company required that the install be inspected, as did the friends i helped, each time the inspector just looked at it and said ooh that looks nice, never measured any clearances, didn't ask about r value in the hearth, didn't even look at the plate on the back of the units to get an idea of clearance requirements. thankfully there are sites like this out there so you can get some good information.

Reactions: bholler
I like the hammered black steel idea. Also the copper would look good. Maybe even hit the copper with a torch to heat color it. The Hardi trim comes in prepainted colors too but would the paint make it combustible? I dont know.
I am not sure on the paint thing either. I have asked inspectors and various manufacturers etc. None of them have good answere.

Nice looking home and stove installation beardley. Well done!

The cement board trim could be rattle can sprayed with high temp paint, though I like the copper flashing idea better.

Nice looking home and stove installation beardley. Well done!

The cement board trim could be rattle can sprayed with high temp paint, though I like the copper flashing idea better.

Thank you sir. I think I'm going to go the copper route. I bought that 4'x7' sheet online, so I'll have to experiment a bit to try and get a similar patina.