Tripping GFI on start up????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kserr

Oct 23, 2008
western Ma
O.k this season has started off not so good with my St Croix EXP.I put in new control panel 250.00 for that vacuum switch 30 and proof of fire sensor 40 ughh. Well now tonite I, just cleaned the stove turned it on, the ignitor came on and boom stove shuts down and you hear tripping noise shorting out noise , well anyway something is tripping the GFI I have no clue where to start looking unless its the GFI itself? Any head scratching on this dilemma would be kindly appreciated.....Oh and I do not get any codes flashing on my stove prior to it shutting down.

Try disconnecting the ignitor wires and see what happens.

Reactions: Bioburner
With the power off.

Inspect all wiring, fuses and re seat all connectors.

Replace any blown fuses.

Disconnect the igniter (both leads), insulate the leads that came from the controller so they can't short either to each other or the stove shell..

Then reset the GFI and prepare for a gel start.

You may need a new igniter. Sometimes they short when they fail or if you get the leads to the igniter twisted where they go into the igniter.

GFIs don't last forever. It only takes a few trips to degrade the contacts and they're only half as reliable as when new.

Try plugging it in another outlet...

GFCI outlets do go bad. Again try another outlet

Im not an electrician but I think you'll find that using a GFI is not the best idea for a pellet stove. Particularly older stoves, they'll trip the breaker frequently. You'd be better served with a 'good' surge protector or better yet a battery back- up UPS assuming you're not currently hooked up to one.

You can read my thread on a GFCI issue from a few months ago. My power cord had a built in GFCI from the manufacturer. I took the ground fault out and have had no problem since and have run the stove for the last few months on a regular basis. Most people questioned using a GFCI on a pellet stove even if it was a factory power cord. I can't say for absolute but I do believe it was the ground fault that was the problem, I think it got more sensitive over the years. I did go with a surge suppressor, that is probably better for the control board too.

Status
Not open for further replies.