Trouble finding an insert to fit opening...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pulldownclaw

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Mar 2, 2007
Richmond, Va
Hey guys,

We have been looking at inserts for a few weeks now, trying to read up and do as much research as possible. Currently in the running is the Hampton, Jotul, and Pacific Energy inserts. Our fireplace opening is 42 1/4" wide and 30" tall. The Hampton seems just a touch undersized to fit our opening, and doesn't have a design that seems to allow extra large panels to be installed. Anyone ever jimmy something up to make this work?

The Jotul Kennebec has a very nice looking extra large surround as an option, but that stove doesn't seem to put out quite as much heat as the others. I believe the PE D1/Pacific has some extra large panels available as well, but just trying to figure out if the Hampton could possibly work, the dealer is trying to get rid of his inventory. :)

BTW, how much of a discount have people seen during the Spring/Summer?

Thanks for any input......

Well, you wouldn't go wrong with a PE insert. Napoleon also has an oversized surround. If it's heat you want there is the big Quadrafire 5100.

But if set on the Hampton, (nice looking stove), you could have some 2", 22ga metal strips cut up at a sheet metal shop to extend the surround. Prime them well and paint them black. Then attach them to the backside of the surround. Post a picture of the current fireplace so we can see if there are other options.

Have you looked at any of the Travis line of inserts? (Lopi/Avalon/fireplace xtroidinare) They all have larger surround panel options.

Eric

I'm not sure about the Hampton inserts, but most manufacturers offer larger surrounds as an option. Of course this costs more, but it is an offered option. I know my Summit insert's standard surround would come close to covering that opening, if not the larger one def would. My opening is 28 or 29" h x 43" wide. I forget already. But the larger surround would def cover. And many other insert manufacturers offer larger options of a larger surround kit.

Buy the hampton, buy the hampton, buy the hampton. I love mine. I am sure there are a lot of other fine stoves but as you can tell I am partial to the HAMPTON. I heat 1400 sq ft with an exposed basement in a 1950s ranch and am never cold. Blower is quiet on high and I use less than half the wood of my prior beast. Mileage may vary...good luck.

Is it possible to just go without the surround? You would have a look more like a wood stove setting in the FP opening. If you use a sealed block-off plate, like I'm sure elk will chime in here in a minute and say to use. you really won't be losing heat up the chimney. You may actually recover a little more heat in the room. Don't know if this is 'manufacturer approved' though.

Corey

Thanks for the replies all.

I have heard of the metal strips behind the insert, that could possibly work, seeing how I'd only have to cover up an inch or so on each side. The top should be fairly flush.

I think the PE Summit would cover it with the standard surround, but for some reason they don't offer their "sunburst" door with the Summit, only the Pacific. The Pacific would work, but then I'd have to buy the xtra large surrounds, and they just don't look good to me, too plain IMO.

The Jotul Kennebec has a real nice large surround (for more $$), but that stove seems to be top dolla.

I am waiting to hear back from our chimney guy, who is going to fix our lightning damaged chimney with a poured concrete liner. He says he may be able to get the stoves at cost, and install it themselves after they fix the chimney. These guys seem very reputable, and were actually sent by the insurance co., so I am inclined to think they know what they are doing, but I want to make sure it's done right.

That was my thought, you're only covering a small gap. As for the top, if there is a tiny gap, shim up the stove with metal plate.

Here are the pics of our hearth, along with the nasty gas logs I've got to remove. Anybody have trouble with that? I already had the propane company come and take away the tank. Man, those gas logs are useless, can't wait to get an insert cookin' in there!

Looks like it may be down to the Hampton, but the deals not done yet. We like the Jotul Kennebec, but it's only rated at 55,000 BTU's vs. 75,000 for the Hampton, and the wife wants it toasty. Just have to figure out how to seal around the edges, hopefully it won't look too crappy.

Attachments

• fireplace 2web.jpg
    fireplace 2web.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 387
  • fireplace 3web.jpg
    fireplace 3web.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 382
cozy heat for my feet said:
Is it possible to just go without the surround? You would have a look more like a wood stove setting in the FP opening. If you use a sealed block-off plate, like I'm sure elk will chime in here in a minute and say to use. you really won't be losing heat up the chimney. You may actually recover a little more heat in the room. Don't know if this is 'manufacturer approved' though.

Corey

I agree Corey. His fireplace is almost an exact duplicate of mine except that his is seven inches wider. Same height, around 32 - 33 inches. After many years with a huge insert I installed my step-top freestanding stove in that fireplace and the difference in heating is phenomenal.

But a big reason people buy the Hampton inserts is that gorgeous cast iron surround. I looked at them too. I just didn't like the way they were put together.

Hampton all the way here . . for comparison's sake you can probably find a price or two here that people paid for their Hampton (me included) .. sounds like you got a reputable guy though, make sure you get the blower thrown in for !freeeeeeeee!

BrotherBart, what didn't you like about the way they were put together?

Anybody willing to tell me what they paid for their Hampton? The dealer says he's giving us the blower for "free", and taking $100 off. I think that puts us around $2200 or so.

I pm'd you the price I paid. 2200.00 plus install is a steal in my opinion. Get it and burn baby burn. The surround bolts to the face...once it is in you should not move it. I think that may be what BB dislikes? From his posts he used to have the old steel beast that was nearly indestructable. The newer ones are just not bilt that heavy anymore. They put some reliance on the firebrick inside. Either way you will enjoy the heck out of it.

burntime said:
I pm'd you the price I paid. 2200.00 plus install is a steal in my opinion. Get it and burn baby burn. The surround bolts to the face...once it is in you should not move it. I think that may be what BB dislikes? From his posts he used to have the old steel beast that was nearly indestructable. The newer ones are just not bilt that heavy anymore. They put some reliance on the firebrick inside. Either way you will enjoy the heck out of it.

I also think he will like it. Everybody that I have seen comment on theirs thought they are great stoves. I don't remember everything since it was last summer when I looked at one but do remember being taken aback by it having a steel firebox behind that mass of cast iron. That and something to do with the door latch setup. And of course I have always been fond of fireboxes that you can park a Hummer H2 in.

Different strokes for different folks. It is a beautiful insert.

pulldownclaw said:
BrotherBart, what didn't you like about the way they were put together?

Anybody willing to tell me what they paid for their Hampton? The dealer says he's giving us the blower for "free", and taking $100 off. I think that puts us around $2200 or so.

Incredible wealth of review and price info on this forum, do keyword searches and also check out https://www.hearth.com/ratings.html.

If you are interested, I'll send you a scan of my entire invoice, send me an email

This is a great forum!! You can't beat getting some informed opinions on the ol' internets before making a major purchase.

Burntime, I didn't get your pm, but I am new here, so maybe I'm not looking at the right spot.

I have looked at the reviews, but I've looked at so many, they all start to blend together. I will go back and re-read and do some searching, thanks.

Also, we are getting a poured cement liner put in, and the installer has offered to install the stove if we've got it there at the time of their work. Does this raise any eyebrows around here? I mean, is this stuff rocket science, or not? I guess I'm mostly scared of it voiding a warranty or my homeowner's policy.

Not knocking the poured liner, but keep in mind, if something fails in that liner, its not going to be easy to remedy, as a s.s. liner would be.
I guess I just don't care for the permanent thing about it. Thats just me though.

Also, we are getting a poured cement liner put in, and the installer has offered to install the stove if we’ve got it there at the time of their work. Does this raise any eyebrows around here? I mean, is this stuff rocket science, or not? I guess I’m mostly scared of it voiding a warranty or my homeowner’s policy.

Good questions. Ask if they will be pulling a permit for the installation. Even if the chimney repairer does the job, the same rules apply. Don't get blinded by what seems like a cheap fix. If they are a quality outfit they should give you a detailed estimate of what they are going to do. One thing you might ask is how many installations they have done?

You want to be sure you understand how the stove is going to be connected to the chimney system, whether they'll install a blockoff plate, and what else is covered or not. I'm not trying to discourage you or imply that they aren't up to the job. They may be a great outfit. Just keep it polite and businesslike so that you get a job you are happy with and confident will last for years. And be sure everything is in writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.