Trouble Shoot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Augie

Feeling the Heat
Nov 8, 2012
North Of Canada
I have a friend with a Napoleon 34"DVI gas insert. She loves it, but it dies on her when the furnace comes on.

Seems like the gas line for the insert is connected near the Furnace( too close??) and when the furnace comes on the reduction in pressure is turning off the insert. Is the fix as easy as re plumbing the gas line for the insert further down the line?

I have a friend with a Napoleon 34"DVI gas insert. She loves it, but it dies on her when the furnace comes on.

Seems like the gas line for the insert is connected near the Furnace( too close??) and when the furnace comes on the reduction in pressure is turning off the insert. Is the fix as easy as re plumbing the gas line for the insert further down the line?

The problem is not the proximity of the feed, it's the volume of the feed. Tell us what the gas line configuration looks like. Without seeing it though, I'm gonna say you need to increase the size of the pipe going to the furnace from 1/2" to 3/4. You can leave the feed to the insert at 1/2" but you need the 3/4" to carry more volume to feed BOTH units at the same time...

Reactions: Heatsource
The problem is not the proximity of the feed, it's the volume of the feed. Tell us what the gas line configuration looks like. Without seeing it though, I'm gonna say you need to increase the size of the pipe going to the furnace from 1/2" to 3/4. You can leave the feed to the insert at 1/2" but you need the 3/4" to carry more volume to feed BOTH units at the same time...

This was my thought, you are just much better at articulating it, thanks for helping me think it through.
I do know it is 1/2" to the furnace, Ill have to see how far back the 3/4" inch line is, then decide if rerunning with 3/4" is easier or running another 1/2" line

. Thanks

the gas company should be able to provide tables showing flow(btu's) over run.
then you calc you appliances' btu requirements to see what sized pipe you need at your length of run

Status
Not open for further replies.