Trouble shooting immediate E2/E1 on Englander stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeremywiebenga

Oct 6, 2018
Michigan
Hi guys, new here. I moved into my home 3 years ago and the previous owner has a Englander 25 previously installed. Other than having to cut a degraded end off a vacuum hose coming from the poet to the right of the fire box it's been problem free. Right at the end of the cold season last year the upper auger stopped working. I just finished troubleshooting and found no power going to it. Since it needed cleaning anyway I removed the exhaust blower and cleaned it out. Doing so I found the vacuum hose there had degraded and cracked in the same way. I cut the end and reattached as I did with the other one. I replaced the blower and it was pulling much more air after cleaning, no suprise. However now I get a nearly immediate E2 error then it shuts down and give me an E1 error after shutting down. The exhaust blower is functioning as are both augers now. I'm assuming it's a bad igniter? It won't stay on long enough to ignite but if I get a fire going with a torch and keep pressing the "On" button both blowers function as well once up to temp. So everything SEEMS to be in order but the unit keeps shutting down in about 5-10 seconds. First showing E2 then E1 despite there being a fire going if I start it without the igniter. Could a bad igniter give me these errors? I've cleaned the igniter port and the only thing I did to cause this was to clean the exhaust blower. What are your thoughts? I greatly appreciate any help you can provide.

E2 is a failure to start error, and E1 is a vacuum loss error.
With a vacuum loss the upper auger will not deliver any fuel, that results in a failure to start.
The most probable causes are:
  1. faulty door seals
  2. a broken or disconnected vacuum hose
  3. a bad vacuum switch
  4. The hopper lid is not latched (not all stoves were equipped with a hopper lid switch)
Check you door seals on all sides by closing the door on a dollar bill. If there is little resistance to removing the bill with the door latched, the seals need replacement. Check the vac hose on the oposit side of the stove that connects to the combustion motor housing. You can jump the vacuum switches (1at a time) to varify function with a paper clip. You can run it that way just for troubleshooting! And always unplug the stove when you handle the wire on the stove they cary line voltage and will give you a new hairdo. You should see the igniter glowing in the hole just to the rt of the auger above the burn plate, if it doesn’t you probably need an igniter.

Reactions: jjam
Check your vacuum hoses and the ports they hook to. They get plugged with ash

realize this has been out here for a while but just ran into this issue myself. Have a englander 25-pdv what when turned on would almost immediately (3-4 seconds) would go to E2 error after power on then full power down in 2 seconds with a final E1 error. Did some basic troubleshooting and found that I had a bad vacuum sensor (attached to burn pot).

Found this by jumping the two wires together and turning stove on. I've had these sensors go bad in the past but usually takes 5-15 minutes before the e2 error was thrown. Short version...replaced this sensor with a spare and everything started working like a champ.

Guess I should add...another way to test this for a 25-pdv is to use the vacaum bypass jumper on the board. Just disconnect the wires to the sensor and put a jumper on the bypass switch (one is included with spare fuse under tape on side of control board)

Ymmv...but figured I'd mention it.

As a thank you to all who post, here is my log and fix of a 25PDVC Englander Pellet Stove E2 Error. Maybe it will save you some time/effort.

Pellet Stove Notes

NOTE: NEW BRAND OF PELLETS AFTER 2 YEARS using Heartland, new pellets are ECO-Flame from Lowes, was already having problem with stove not staying on at 1,1 before starting new pellets. Started running lower hopper fullness. Ultimately stove would not light on own, stay lit at all and kicked E 2 error.

Started troubleshooting, removed burn pot, did full clean,replaced gaskets, cut and reset vacuum line, no auto-ignition. Thank you Stoveparts4less.com YouTube videos SUPPORT THEM.

Added full bag to hopper (Later suspected a high amount of sawdust/fines in this brand/bag of pellets).

12 mins from torch to fan, upped from 3 to 4 feed rate, 45 mins later fan turns off,

Full cool and shut down

Change settings to 4-4-1

7:25 torch light, up feed from 4 to 6, start 7:37, 12 mins, 7:46 fan off,

relight 7:49, up to 9 feed, 6 fan, 4-6-1 FAIL TO START (no pellets?)

relight 8:02, dig out hopper, feed to 6, pellets feeding but seem slow, feed to 9, dig out hopper again, add pellets by hand (note door open appears to stop auger – vacuum working) FAIL and shut down 8:15

6-4-1, relight 8:20, blower start 8:24 (did not fully cool from prior FAIL when relight), S-U still showing, feed seems slow still, not much flame, no flame, just glowing pellets, 8:34 add pellets by hand almost no glowing pellets, Blower off 8:36, relight 8:37, lower auger moving just not feeding much (Pellet quality issue?), dug out hopper, now seems to be feeding better, then not, dug out hopper to minimize load, FAIL

AUGER JAM MAY BE THE MAIN PROBLEM FROM START (not including ignition)

Determined upper auger jammed with sawdust/pellets
, new brand pellet problem? Cleared at some difficulty by manually lifting and twisting upper motor on back multiple times until hopper entry cleared. Greased upper and lower auger bearings. Tested with small amounts of pellets and successfully ran for at least 1 hour.

Did full cleaning of hopper and auger tube with shop vac. Made sure pellets added were filtered of sawdust (shopvac with home-made attachment, then switched to shake filter with collander and sort by hand)

Torch relight, pellets feeding perfectly. Seemed like ignitor might be working by visual inspection. Stove ran until pellets out 2 hrs, regular shut down.

Try start without torch- SUCCESS, ignitor working now?! Started at 7,4, dialed down to 1,3 to see if it runs.

Theory is that upper auger jam was causing low/no pellet feed intermittently, then not at all. May not have needed everything else (gasket, burnpot cleaning, vacuum lines), but will never know. None of it hurt and full maintenance was clearly needed.