Trouble starting Heatilator gas fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeeper77

May 21, 2024
Mass
We have a 10ish year old natural gas Heatilator IPI fireplace (Novus series I believe). All this past winter it's gotten increasingly difficult to start. When you first try (thermostat calls for it to start), you hear 3-4 short clicks in the fireplace but nothing happens. I'll have to repeat this several times (anywhere from a few to10-20 if I'm determined) to finally get it to start, Weirdly once it's start it can stop and restart with zero issues until it's left off for a few hours then gets difficult again, almost as if it works fine when everything inside it is warm/hot but struggles otherwise. I had it cleaned/serviced mid winter and the tech checked several things and cleaned everything up and of course worked when they were there because it had been warm/hot inside, but trying it later that night the issue returned. What would cause the fireplace to struggle to get that first light going, but be fine after on/off until it cools down again?

Might need a new pilot assembly. Possibly control module. Need to check grounds also. What part of mass are you in?