Troubled in Jersey

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Lesueur

May 11, 2008
North NJ
First of all Thanks to everyone's contributions here it is of so much value!!

I have picked out the HI300 from Hampton as the insert for our fireplace. It will fit according to the manufacturers measurements.
The problem though is the opening into the fireplace has a four inch lip above the hearth. The question I have is the HI300 going to sit on that ledge almost looking like it is hanging there? I have looked at a ton of pictures and the inserts are always sitting directly on the hearth. Does this pose a problem? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sorry if the terminlology is incorrect. I will try to send a pic if that would clearify.

A photo will def help. Question is, does the hearth extend out 18" beyond where the insert face will be?
You can always fill in under the insert if it is "hanging in front". You can use something similar to the hearth materials, and just follow the shape of the insert. Would look nice.

Hey Mcgraw, good choice on the stove, I've got one as well. ;-)

A picture would help. Do you mean the fireplace opening is raised 4 inches off of the hearth? Does it stick out at all? It will look like it's hanging out a bit since it sticks out quite a bit from the fireplace opening. You could build up the hearth a little under where the stove will sit....try to post a pic if you can and the good people here will give you some ideas.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I have a two story living room with a wall of windows that I am trying to heat.

I have a quote for an HI300 timberline brown with the smaller face plate with 30 feet of ss liner (flexible). Not sure about block off plates yet. 4500.

From what I've been reading I feel this may be on the high side of prices. Any advise is welcomed.

Thanks again.

Here is the link to a shot of my fireplace with the 4inch lip.

Attachments

• flicker image.jpg
    flicker image.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 336
I agree that with the lip on the front of the HI300 it is gonna look a little weird. That fireplace cries for a flush mounted insert.

I dont know how much work it would be!can you remove the 4" lip area to make it flush with the hearth?If no!then maybe you can build up 4" on the hearth to match the lip.

This is a metal prefab fireplace, which is addressed in the manual for that regency model. You cannot modify this fireplace by taking parts of it out, etc. - you must line it to the top and check the other specs as per Regency and the dealer.

The unit must be properly supported out front. When we installed units such as this, we would typically use bricks or something non-combustible to support the unit and then make a custom sheet metal thingy (and paint it) which would approx match the front of the unit, and then just push it under the unit to hide the brick. They looked fine!

We call a fireplace like yours a "picture window"...meaning it is up on the all instead of flush with the hearth.

Good thread and info. I posted the picture as an attachment in case the flicker file gets purged later on.

Thanks for the experienced answers. I will present this solution to the dealer/installer. If anybody has a picture of a non-flush mount I would greatly appreciate a visual.
Thanks again.

I know this discussion is old, however I wanted to thank everyone for the help and post a picture of the HI300 installed in the picture window prefab fireplace. I tried to attach the Before and after. Again thanks for all the info.

Attachments

• Copy of December 20080035.JPG
    Copy of December 20080035.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Copy169_7205.JPG
    Copy169_7205.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 191
Status
Not open for further replies.