Troubleshooting convection blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

2006empress

Nov 18, 2015
Sharon, MA
I have an Enviro Empress from 2006 and the convection blower isn't turning.

This blower does not have an oiling port.

It has this red rubber endcap which seems to hold the axle in place. Effectively, it is preventing the turbine from spinning. When I remove the red rubber endcap, the turbine spins freely.

Any idea if this is repairable? Am I supposed to grease the endcap or something?

Thanks.
20170315_181504.jpg

Attachments

• Photos (6).zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 120
  • 20170315_181523.jpg
    20170315_181523.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 106
Tough to say without a "hands on" look but, it appears that the small fan shaft is inside a bushing which needs to be greased and free to rotate, The bushing may have been pressed in the red end cap at one time, to keep it centered. Just a guess.

I may be way off base her and some one will correct me I hope
The red cap is a holder for a bushing or bearing ( the digger part of the blower shaft )
The smaller part is the blower shaft which should turn freely in the bigger part
They may be stuck together . try holding the fan and turning the bigger part with plyers
If it turns put a little penetrating oil on the inner shaft work the outer shaft back and forth until free
If it frees up try to wiggle it off . with it off clean the shaft with emery paper lube with hi temp grease
reinstall bushing making sure it is free and try running the fan Good Luck