Troubleshooting Majestic UVS36 RN

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

steppinthrax

Jan 19, 2016
Maryland
My mother recently relocated to a condo, and I've been attempting to troubleshoot her majestic unvented fireplace. While I've managed to ignite and maintain the pilot light, I'm encountering difficulty in getting the fireplace to fully ignite. There was a single successful ignition during our initial viewing of the property, but I'm uncertain whether there was a remote control present or if I simply activated the switch on the wall.

After removing the bottom cover, I located the gas valve and used a multimeter to test continuity along the RED and WHITE spade connector wires when toggling the switch, confirming its functionality. Following this, I opened the gas and ignited the pilot, allowing it to warm the thermocouple by holding in the PILOT knob for an adequate duration before switching it to ON. Upon measuring the voltage (in millivolts) across the connected white wires, it registered a consistent 380+ mV DC. Despite this, when I toggled the switch and waited, there was no response—no click, no sound, and the pilot flame remained steady.

My concern is whether there might be another component missing, such as a remote control. However, upon inspection, the gas valve appears straightforward, without any additional wiring visible aside from what's evident at the front. The image of the entire fireplace below is from a sales advertisement for a similar fireplace, not the actual one in question.

IMG_20231225_144402363_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231225_144356051_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231225_144344254_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_20231220-193430-411.png

I haven’t worked on a lot of VF units, but most of the issues I’ve encountered have been with the Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS). It’s a small opening on the back side of the pilot tube. It can get partially or fully blocked by dust or other things like pet dander & will prevent the burner from remaining lit. Try clearing it with compressed air

I haven’t worked on a lot of VF units, but most of the issues I’ve encountered have been with the Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS). It’s a small opening on the back side of the pilot tube. It can get partially or fully blocked by dust or other things like pet dander & will prevent the burner from remaining lit. Try clearing it with compressed air
Thanks, I was actually seeing a youtube video and they were saying it takes 750mVDC to open the gas valve, I'm kinda thinking the thermocoule is bad. I just need confirmation if this coulld be the situation. I'm getting around 380MVDC total and it won't go hire. They sell the entire assembly (thermocouple, pilot, igniter with wires/bracket). I'm thinking just to replace this first.

My mother is 60+ miles away, so if that's indeed the issue, I would rather just buy that part and make sure I don't have to go there again and again.

Amazon product ASIN B06XGKH4C5