Troubleshooting Osburn Hybrid 45

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LarryW

Feb 6, 2017
Waymart, PA
I have an Osburn hybrid 45mf about 8 years old. Was running all weekend on lowest setting and error code E appeared due to running out of pellets while I was away. Tried to start unit...no fan kicked on and auger will not turn. Makes a humming noise like something is trying to turn, but is jammed. It will not shut off or give me an error code. Nothing seems jammed in auger and blades on convection and combustion fans spin freely. Can someone give me a place to start with repairs?

Have you tried unplugging the unit and letting it sit for a few minutes then plug it back in. Like many electronic items, they sometimes need a hard reset. Has it been plugged into a surge protector all along?

STOVE SHUTS OFF AND DISPLAYS WARNING CODE

page23image3832

Possible Causes:

Possible Remedies: (Unplug stove first when possible)

1. The hopper is out of pellets.

Refill the hopper.

2. The air damper is open too much for the low feed setting.

If the stove is on the low setting, you may need to close the damper all the way. Slide the air supply control toward the minimum setting.

3. The burn pot holes are blocked.

Remove the burn pot and clean it thoroughly.

4. The air inlet, interior chambers, or exhaust system is partly blocked.

Follow all cleaning procedures in the maintenance section of the owner’s manual.

5. The auger motor has failed.

Remove the auger motor from the auger shaft and try to run the motor separately by pressing the fuel feed button on the control board. If the motor turns, the shaft is jammed on something. If the motor does not turn, the motor is defective or there is a faulty connection with the control board. To remove the auger motor, take the rear panel off the stove body. Loosen the two screws holding the motor to the auger shaft.

6. The auger shaft is jammed.

Remove the auger shaft from the auger housing. Start by emptying the hopper. Take the rear panel off the stove body. Then take the auger motor off by removing the screws that hold the motor to the auger shaft. Once the motor is out, remove the four screws on the steel plate that holds the auger shaft to the auger housing. Then rotate the bottom end of the auger shaft down towards you until you can pull the shaft down out of the stove. After you have removed the shaft, inspect it for bent flights, burrs, or broken welds. Remove any foreign material that may have caused the jam. Also, check the auger housing for signs of damage such as burrs, rough spots, or grooves cut into the metal that could have caused a jam. Clean the auger housing thoroughly to remove all pellet dust.

7. The thermistor heat sensor has malfunctioned.

The thermistor is a heat sensor located on the exhaust housing. Its function is to tell the control board that the unit has ignited properly by measuring the heat in the exhaust. The pellet stove will not start feeding pellets at the desired heat setting until it has received a signal from the thermistor heat sensor. If the thermistor heat sensor is bad, the unit will stop after the ignition cycle. If this situation occurs, call your dealer or technician.

The last three are the most likely given that he ran out of pellets but no error code showing now so... hard to tell.

Thanks for your responses.

Tried to unplug and wait, but received same results. Never had a surge protector plugged into this unit.

Cleaned unit. No change.

Removed Auger motor from unit and it does turn when fuel feed button is pressed. I could turn the auger by hand with the motor off so I do not think it is the auger.
Note that humming is still occurring and there is no fan coming on even when this is attached. I let it run and now receive a P code. I have the original owners manual and it talks about a blocked airflow switch. Guess that will be next on my list...

Forgot to welcome you to the forum! Glad you at least have an error code to work with... Might want to get a surge protector on that stove as boards can be expensive to replace.

Could be the barb on the air pressure switch is clogged, connecting hose cracked or broken. Rare for the switch itself to fail but it does happen. Usually one of the least expensive items to fix.

When was the last big cleaning of exhaust and internal exhaust pathways on the stove?

Thanks for your responses.

Tried to unplug and wait, but received same results. Never had a surge protector plugged into this unit.

Cleaned unit. No change.

Removed Auger motor from unit and it does turn when fuel feed button is pressed. I could turn the auger by hand with the motor off so I do not think it is the auger.
Note that humming is still occurring and there is no fan coming on even when this is attached. I let it run and now receive a P code. I have the original owners manual and it talks about a blocked airflow switch. Guess that will be next on my list...

Just tried the airflow switch test. It does not seemed clogged, wires tested good and are all connected. At number 6 which appears to be a problem...fan will not turn on but that is where the humming is coming from so looks like I will be replacing the combustion exhaust blower.

Combustion blower source or the board? Might want to confirm no scorching on the board ... Always unplug while working in the cabinet. Anti-static clip is a good idea too.

Combustion blower source or the board? Might want to confirm no scorching on the board ... Always unplug while working in the cabinet. Anti-static clip is a good idea too.

Board looks fine and all the buttons work. Will certainly look for a surge protector for the unit. Best price I can find online for the motor is $300.

combustion fan has to work for auger to work
Humming from the combustion fan ?

Sounds like the humming is coming from the housing that holds the fan/motor/fan combo for the combustion. Almost like there is something stuck inside that prevents the motor from turning. I can't see anything without taking the entire unit off. Since I will most probably be replacing this unit, I am going to try that to see if there is anything noticeable.

Strange things have been found in combustion blower blades ... mice, birds, etc. Is there screening at the end of the exhaust venting?

Strange things have been found in combustion blower blades ... mice, birds, etc. Is there screening at the end of the exhaust venting?
Thanks for your help. When I cleaned the stove, there was no blockages found. I have since changed the combustion motor and except for a new "rattle" from the auger housing, the stove is back to working and keeping me warm!

Reactions: Lake Girl