Truck tire specs - the finer points

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks to everyone for your advice, on this. I ended up with bholler's original suggestion, stepping up to a load range D 8-ply equivalent, from factory load range B 4-ply equivalent. That really narrowed the selection in the AT type tires, but the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2's were available in that configuration, so I went with them. Other factors influencing the decision:

1. Just about every single review I read, and every video I watched on any other tire were comparing them to the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2's, or the original KO's. They really have become the standard against which all other TA's are compared.

2. Better puncture resistance than any other model that fit my truck (mostly due to load D rating).

3. Very good wet and snow performance.

4. Notably quiet, for such an aggressive tread (although the Nitto Grappler 2 wins, here).

5. They look damn good, which don't hurt.

6. I always liked the way my other two 1/2 ton trucks handled with LT tires, versus the P-metrics that ship from the factory.

7. I actually like that these come in a fairly unusual D-rating. Most LT tires skip right from B or C up to E rating, which is a very heavy tire.

I won't bother re-listing all the negative points of going LT, I already did that more than once above. I'll just say that, while the extra weight will hurt mileage, brake wear, and acceleration, the weight difference is not as bad on my truck's 20" wheels as it was on my older trucks' smaller wheels.

Thanks, guys!

If you're shopping tires, and haven't already checked some of the videos on the BFG KO2's, you'll find there are enough on youtube to fill a few evenings. Have fun.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for your advice, on this. I ended up with bholler's original suggestion, stepping up to a load range D 8-ply equivalent, from factory load range B 4-ply equivalent. That really narrowed the selection in the AT type tires, but the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2's were available in that configuration, so I went with them. Other factors influencing the decision:

1. Just about every single review I read, and every video I watched on any other tire were comparing them to the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2's, or the original KO's. They really have become the standard against which all other TA's are compared.

2. Better puncture resistance than any other model that fit my truck (mostly due to load D rating).

3. Very good wet and snow performance.

4. Notably quiet, for such an aggressive tread (although the Nitto Grappler 2 wins, here).

5. They look damn good, which don't hurt.

6. I always liked the way my other two 1/2 ton trucks handled with LT tires, versus the P-metrics that ship from the factory.

7. I actually like that these come in a fairly unusual D-rating. Most LT tires skip right from B or C up to E rating, which is a very heavy tire.

I won't bother re-listing all the negative points of going LT, I already did that more than once above. I'll just say that, while the extra weight will hurt mileage, break wear, and acceleration, the weight difference is not as bad on my truck's 20" wheels as it was on my older trucks' smaller wheels.

Thanks, guys!

If you're shopping tires, and haven't already checked some of the videos on the BFG KO2's, you'll find there are enough on youtube to fill a few evenings. Have fun.

They are the M3 of truck tires, you just can't go wrong for an all purpose tire.

Reactions: bholler and Ashful
Bonus: my dealer is running a buy 3 get 4th free deal on BFG. $845 out the door!!! This tire is $240/ea at both tirerack.com and simple-tire.com.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Bonus: my dealer is running a buy 3 get 4th free deal on BFG. $845 out the door!!! This tire is $240/ea at both tirerack.com and simple-tire.com.
That's cheap for a set of quality truck tires. I felt happy to get $1,400 OTD mounted for six Yokohama MTs

That's cheap for a set of quality truck tires. I felt happy to get $1,400 OTD mounted for six Yokohama MTs

Wow, what size were you buying?!? Yokohama MT’s are only $168/ea in 275/60R20 at SimpleTire.com, about $80 per tire less than the BFG’s!

Wow, what size were you buying?!? Yokohama MT’s are only $168/ea in 275/60R20 at SimpleTire.com, about $80 per tire less than the BFG’s!
235/80/17, Dually tires aren't cheap!

235/80/17, Dually tires aren't cheap!
Got it. I actually quoted the wrong price on the Yoko's in my size, earlier. I was working on a phone, and when I searched MT's it gave me the price on HT's, and I didn't notice. Yeah, they're $290/tire, not cheap!

Got it. I actually quoted the wrong price on the Yoko's in my size, earlier. I was working on a phone, and when I searched MT's it gave me the price on HT's, and I didn't notice. Yeah, they're $290/tire, not cheap!
Worth every penny. Even thought they are MTs, these tires aren't even as loud as the 185/55/15 snow tires on my wife's Abarth. Definitely not a comfortable ride, but they handled a pallet of tube sand wonderfully. Traction has only been an issue one time, but I was on a steep sheet of ice trying to extract my friend's plow truck. The tow truck had to extract both of us that time ;lol I got a set of chains for both ends after that, but I might not ever need them.

How do you like the Abarth? I tried to talk my wife into buying one last year, as a second “fun car” for her, but she wouldn’t bite. Not a great daily kid hauler, but I imagine they’re hella fun.

I imagine those MTs must wander a bit at high speed, no? I’ve run several different MTs in my younger years, and none were great at 85 mph.

How do you like the Abarth? I tried to talk my wife into buying one last year, as a second “fun car” for her, but she wouldn’t bite. Not a great daily kid hauler, but I imagine they’re hella fun.

I imagine those MTs must wander a bit at high speed, no? I’ve run several different MTs in my younger years, and none were great at 85 mph.

I think the weight of the truck keeps them from pushing it around. My Titan with Nitto MTs was a little bit more annoying on the highway, plus those tires howled! They were a much softer compound than these Yokos.

I love the Abarth. I suggested it to her before we were married and she was reluctant initially. Before the Abarth she had a 2014 Mustang V6 Six Speed "pony pack" (limited slip diff, base V8 brakes) and loved it. I'm not going to lie, I enjoyed driving it too! Well, it got totaled and she had to pick something. Even on the Fiat lot she balked, but finally gave it a chance. She hasn't looked back, even though these roads are hell on the car. I'm looking at getting some high end Bilstien dampers to help iron out the dips and kinks in the road. Her Abarth is also a Cabrio, so it's like a FWD Miata with back seats. We have considered getting a third car, but since I can't work I'm always able to driver her in my truck when it's too crappy for her car. The limited slip diff and snow tires have made it a formidable snow car. I think it will be getting studded tires next year.

I think the third car will be bringing my Miata shell up here and putting something awesome in it like an Abarth engine or mechanical pump VW TDI. Paco Motorsports sells a Baja style long travel suspension kit for Miatas that has had me drooling for the last three years.