Trying to decide...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Savannah

Nov 10, 2016
Pennsylvania
Can someone tell me what they think would be best. I already have a pellet stove in my basement that heats the whole house. But the garage was closed up and made into a family room before i bought my house so there is no vent for the heat from the basement coming up through the floor or wall or whatever you'd do for that. The is however a propane wall heater, which im not crazy about since there are three sources of heating in my house, including that. I want to eliminate the propane heater even though its the only source of heat in that room. To get to the point would it be cheaper with my electricity bill to just put basedboard heating or just get the pellet stove installed and used that? Would it work with the other stove and lower the amount of pellets being used too? Just trying to get some outside input. Thank you.

The question is a bit confusing but I'll take a shot at an answer... It may be a challenge to find a pellet appliance for what I'm speculating is approx 400SF. I remember seeing a self contained 'window unit' (a pellet appliance that mounts in a window like an air conditioner) from US Stove for 1000SF spaces and there was a mini enviro but I'm not sure either are still available nor whether you can run them low enough to not chase you out of the space. Not to mention the purchase costs and the install etc... I would think there could perhaps be some space on the rim joist to pop a duct or two in to transfer some heat from the basement, if the family room/garage floor hasn't been lifted from the slab? Electric baseboard is simple to mount, but requires a 230vac circuit and thermostat and ideally should be mounted on a/the outside wall(s) where running a circuit may be an issue. Additionally, depending on the wattage, could get costly depending on your electric rate and run duration.

Good try but the US Stoves window pellet stoves were recalled due to starting house fires.

Welcome to the forum Savannah! You will be using more pellets than you are using now but will likely benefit from more evenly distributed heat. What room does the garage now family room open into? Basement stairway in relation to the old garage? What type of pellet stove are you currently using and how big is the rest of the house?

yeah, hence stating "not sure either are still available" ... but I see they still have a small appliance... the thing is, a space this small it may be more cost effective to find a way to duct or cross vent (even if it's closed off) ... but this thread is looking pretty dead ...

Can someone tell me what they think would be best. I already have a pellet stove in my basement that heats the whole house. But the garage was closed up and made into a family room before i bought my house so there is no vent for the heat from the basement coming up through the floor or wall or whatever you'd do for that. The is however a propane wall heater, which im not crazy about since there are three sources of heating in my house, including that. I want to eliminate the propane heater even though its the only source of heat in that room. To get to the point would it be cheaper with my electricity bill to just put basedboard heating or just get the pellet stove installed and used that? Would it work with the other stove and lower the amount of pellets being used too? Just trying to get some outside input. Thank you.
I would leave the propane heater and put the money into insulation and a propane fired generator.

A smaller BTU pellet stove would work just fine if that is what you want. As mentioned it will also help heat the rest of the house if it is open to it. I had a pellet stove out in my two car garage for awhile and it rocked. It was more of a temporary set up and is closed off from my house but worked great for what I needed at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.