Trying to diagnose an Ashley stove issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

csparks

Dec 29, 2019
Oklahoma
Hope this doesn't sound nonsensical, but this is my first stop in what will likely be a confusing issue.

I live in a rural area of Oklahoma. A lot of folks around here have old Ashley woodstoves. I have seen several, but never got hands-on with one. We have a Lopi Liberty stove with the glass door, etc. I've had Lopi stoves at two homes, over the last 20 years, and they are all I know.

A neighbor lady of limited means has mentioned this stove to me a couple of times. She said it "pings" constantly. At first I mostly took this as a small issue. Apparently, this ping business is driving her out of her head. So, in a round-about way, I'm being drafted to figure out the issue.

My stove has a "bypass" that you pull out when starting to draft air for quicker lighting. While this is open, our stove will tick some, until its closed. Then, all quiet. I thought maybe her stove may have a similar feature, and something has come apart...? I googled around some, but now think it may be more involved. I'm reading that Ashley is prone to construction and longevity issues, and they may not hold together as well as they should.

I believe this is a used stove, given to her to replace an older cast iron stove that did not heat well enough. I can only imagine what treatment it may have seen. I've read about fireboxes burning thru, etc. So, before I actually get over there to examine it, I wondered if anyone might offer an idea, or what to look for.

My next step is Youtube, to see what videos may be there. I do believe it is the big classic retangular looking thing with the side door. I guess two doors? As you can see, I probably don't know enough to be effective, but can't refuse help.

The answer is most likely that the noise is perfectly normal for a stove built of multiple layers of fairly thin sheet steel.

The answer is most likely that the noise is perfectly normal for a stove built of multiple layers of fairly thin sheet steel.
I failed to ask if this "ping" noise is something that started recently, or if it has always been going on.

After looking at the videos on Youtube, I can see they are like you say, sheet metal looking boxes. Could be anything inside there, or just the surrounding out box being warped, crooked, etc.