TSP ... Yay or Nay?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mikeb

Oct 9, 2007
Hey all,

When burning "dry wood", the need for anything like TSP is minimal, but sometimes it's helpful, so ...

I was looking around a bit online and here ... a lot of folks seem to be using TSP in the firebox to help keep the flue and box clean. It appears that TSP is the primary ingredient used in many of the commercially produced "cleaning logs" that are sold here and there. Some say, "just use TSP straight up and its fine" ... others say, "no, TSP is too corrosive for regular use in a firebox". What you say as to TSP for regular or occasional use? It seems to work pretty good in a "hot" fire.

If not TSP, then what's your preferred method/product? (besides burning dry/hot)

just burn dry wood in a good setup correctly and no need for anything additional. But there are allot of commercially available powders that can help if you cant do those things. And most are tsp based. Not sure if straight tsp would cause a problem or not

I've never used any kind of an additive. If the flue was dirty, I'd just clean it.

You might want to check the warrantee information, if applicable, regarding the use of cleaning agents on your stove and/or liner.

I once used a bottle of spray cleaner that a woodstove shop gave to me free of charge ... never really noticed any difference before, during or after the use ... I just stick with burning well seasoned wood and burning at the right temps to insure a clean chimney.