Turkey Hunting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
I've decided to attempt to become a turkey hunter this year. Not sure about other states, but Ohio Spring is in. Anyone else out there turkey hunting this spring and if so, having any luck?

Your welcome to them. They poop everywhere. I used to feed them so I could shoot em with my Canon.

Attachments

• IMG_0194.JPG
    IMG_0194.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 116
I don't hunt 'em, but Spring season opened up this past Monday.

Season just opened here
I gave up spring hunting (males only)
Costs way too much here
I do the fall hunt just sit on my back deck and wait
never fails get 1 every year can do the same for deer
and now that walkings is a pain (literally) it is nice to sit and wait
get cold go in and warm up have a fresh coffee lunch take a nap
the only way to hunt

Reactions: Nate R
I have so many on the property the only effective turkey hunting tools would be Ma Deuce and an excavator. .

Used to try to hunt them with a friend. The turkeys would fly over us on their way down the mountain. Owls would be attracted to us and sit and watch us. Probably thought we were funny looking turkeys.

A guy told me of a really good wild turkey recipe. Take the fresh killed turkey, place it in a gunny sack, bury the sack for three weeks, dig it up, throw the turkey away and eat the sack.

A couple of years ago a guy came into the store with an ugly camo painted pump shotgun. He had tried to turn it into the police department, but they sent him to me. It was so dirty it would hardly pump. I took it, sprayed solvent all over it and let it sit for about a week. It cleaned up pretty well, and actually appeared to function. i did not shoot it.

A guy came into the store wanting a cheap shotgun to try turkey hunting with. His wife was with him. They had been in several times before over the years. I told him I had just the gun, and would sell it to him for what i had into it. We went back and forth for quite a while with me telling him he needed to be more trusting as he wanted to know the cost before buying it, and I kept telling him the deal was he had to agree to purchase it for my cost prior to my revealing the price I paid. His wife seemed to be enjoying the show.

Finally he gave in and said, "Okay, how much?" I gave him the shotgun as it was given to me. He was in the other day and told me it was a turkey killing machine. I think he has gotten spring and fall turkeys with it the last couple of years.

A guy told me of a really good wild turkey recipe. Take the fresh killed turkey, place it in a gunny sack, bury the sack for three weeks, dig it up, throw the turkey away and eat the sack.

If you take lemon pepper and mix it with your flour then chop your turkey breast in two inch size chunks and roll it in the flour then fry it.....its hard to beat. Turkey isn't my favorite thing to eat so I can see where your buddy is coming from. The legs aren't too bad if they are cooked slow in a crock pot or smoked. They are tough as hell otherwise lol. Their isn't a whole lot of meat on a wild turkey to begin with really but a few parts of them aren't bad.

I take it you guys don't brine your birds for at least 24 hours before cooking them. Our first heritage chicken wasn't very tender, but the taste was great. We only brined the first bird for a few hours. Every bird after we brine for 24 hours, or a bit more if we have the time, and they turn out better than any chicken I've ever had before.

Reactions: Grizzerbear

A couple of years ago a guy came into the store with an ugly camo painted pump shotgun. He had tried to turn it into the police department, but they sent him to me. It was so dirty it would hardly pump. I took it, sprayed solvent all over it and let it sit for about a week. It cleaned up pretty well, and actually appeared to function. i did not shoot it.

A guy came into the store wanting a cheap shotgun to try turkey hunting with. His wife was with him. They had been in several times before over the years. I told him I had just the gun, and would sell it to him for what i had into it. We went back and forth for quite a while with me telling him he needed to be more trusting as he wanted to know the cost before buying it, and I kept telling him the deal was he had to agree to purchase it for my cost prior to my revealing the price I paid. His wife seemed to be enjoying the show.

Finally he gave in and said, "Okay, how much?" I gave him the shotgun as it was given to me. He was in the other day and told me it was a turkey killing machine. I think he has gotten spring and fall turkeys with it the last couple of years.
Your wild turkey recipe works well with merganser also ;)