Turner-n-burner is about to join the wood burning comunity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

There were a couple of glitches and first time experiences. I have never wittnessed a chimney without a masonry cap. That's right two clay flues with nothing but the brick outer walls. The only thing on the top was a metal vent cap. It was held on with 4 tapcon screws and caulk.. The Caulk is what held the bricks together. Both top clay flues could be moved like gear shifts. I mean there was just open space no cap. The wierdest setup I seen. The fireplace flue 8/12 with a 45degree offset. There was no way to get a 6" liner down there with insulation in tact. the stove its self was in the garage on a dolly but we had to get it up the front 6 stairs then into the house. Nothing went real easy. I could have never accoplished what we did today without fellow member GVA.

With practically no crearance and the liner at times scrapping the flue, there was no way to get a direct shot line up to the flue collar. GVA pushing down Turner feeding him the liner
and me laying in the fire box pulling on the rope. The liner got stuck a couple of times and GVA an I hade to move it back up and down finally a piece of motar broke loose. Naturally all the crud was falling on my face. I manouvered the liner past the damper plate. Again a strange setup. The one place I would want to cut the damper was filled with solid bricks above made cutting useless. If we cut to the rear, it would make more room but place the liner further away from the stove flue collar. This was not a walk in the park install. I'm typing this post only minutes ariving back home. Here is what we accomplished. Liner installed, termination cap in stalled, stove connected using a black adjustiable elbow, god only knows that angle adjustment. No time to install the damper block off plate. Total beers, the way this job went, not enough. GVA no way could I have done without you, your the man.

Turner lucked out and bought a practicall refurbished home Btw a real good guy. He tried the holtz stacking but it keeps falling over. It turned into work and not a party. We three did discuss the forum and some members. To some it is best not repeating the general consenses we arrrived at Roo you were brought up Harry too can't have aconversation on the hearth. if BB were not mentioned. Hard to politically peg any of us we all drive pickup trucks

Sounds like the install from hell Elk. Glad somebody could come to help. Turner should be really glad. The three day notice had to be tough for the rest of the guys in the area. "Ok family. Weekend plans are off. Gotta go install a stove.". I think your wife is like mine. Use to it. You are a good man for helping him out. Now, about that block off plate... When is it going in?

Having a groan of a time designing and making the one that is "just right" for the stove that is resting tonight on a FedEx truck in Louisville, KY. Due here Tuesday. Will be heating this place by Thursday. Come hell or high water.

I'll get the plate done though. I bought fifteen heavy bakers sheet pans a couple of years ago at an auction. Had to buy them all to get four drip pans for the garage. Got lots of material to wreck a few and keep trying. Thinking about a sandwich job with the rockwool in between.

Get some rest.

"Sounds like the install from hell"
I think the cold ones were well work for .
If i had the help to install a stove i would fell better sleeping at night knowing i had a great crew to help do the job.

Cheers to all the effort and hard work done on the install.

FIRE IT UP!

The pizza was pretty good too. %-P
I posted on the old thread but tomorrow I'll be adding some pics to this one.
It's a nice looking stove can't wait to see it burning. :)

What stove is it? Pics Turner. Pics damnit!

It's a hearthstone clydesdale, Looks like it could be a a monster source of heat for the whole house his floor plan is pretty open...

Ok I'm tired but here it is when I left, it was stripped of anything that wasn't bolted down..... It's about 500 pounds but stripped it was about 200 pounds much easier to maneuver, more to follow...... also Turner & burner took pictures of me clutching to the chimney for dear life maybe he'll post them soon. :cheese:

Attachments

• flue tube 009 resized.jpg
    flue tube 009 resized.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 691
Hey All,

Yeah - Huge thanks to Don and Geoff for coming by and lending their expertise. I'm pretty handy, but I wouldn't have wanted to tackle this one without help. I should have sent some beer home with both of you - you earned it!

It is extremely tempting to finish assembling the stove, add the soapstone and light her up, but I'm going to wait until I can get a mason to repair the chimney - just in case I have to pull the insert. I've already started making calls. Like Don said - I've never seen a chimney left so incomplete before - never even heard of such a thing. Geoff can you post that picture?

While I'm waiting for a mason - I'll make the blockoff plate.

Can't wait to get burning!

-Dan

GVA said:
Ok I'm tired but here it is when I left, it was stripped of anything that wasn't bolted down..... It's about 500 pounds but stripped it was about 200 pounds much easier to maneuver, more to follow...... also Turner & burner took pictures of me clutching to the chimney for dear life maybe he'll post them soon. :cheese:

O.K. .......Picture.......Thats better , that'll hold Ole' BB from haffen to take his meds for a wile.
(shuu .... We wouldn't want BB to get riled up u know )

All looks good so far.
BTW, does anybody elses back hurt just looking at that picture , I know mine sure does.

It's up there Gary, just post the URL - http://www.youtube.com/v/WcBxADYkZQ0 , and nothing else.

That is a sight to behold. It's a wonder Don didn't fall off the roof when he saw that. Are the flues floating all the way down to the firebox?

I'd invite the home inspector over for a gander and a rebate.

BeGreen said:
It's up there Gary, just post the URL - http://www.youtube.com/v/WcBxADYkZQ0 , and nothing else.

That is a sight to behold. It's a wonder Don didn't fall off the roof when he saw that. Are the flues floating all the way down to the firebox?

I'd invite the home inspector over for a gander and a rebate.
Yeah they are floating the whole way down and the mortar between each terra cotta section is flaking away, both flues can be moved by hand. I mentioned to Turner&Burner that he should line the other flue This has the furnace on it.
From what he said the home inspector refused to go up on the roof :sick:

All the more reason for this alleged home inspector to be called back to the job or give Turner a refund equal to the cost of omission.

Yeah, I'm pretty ticked at the home inspector right now. I'm going to take another look at the inspection report - I expect there is some language in there to protect him for anything not visible from the ground.

Lesson learned - I won't hire another home inspector who doesn't bring a ladder.

A Mason is coming tomorrow - any guesses on what this bill is going to look like?

-Dan

One of the more important things for an inspector to check is the condition of the roof. I believe it's a requirement in our state that a roof have at least 5 yrs. left in it. Any inspector afraid of a ladder is not a bonifide inspector. There's too much going on up there that affects the rest of the house. I could see if your house was 3.5 stories, but it is a pretty normal looking, 2 story roof from what the photos show.

Another question is, did the seller know about this? Seems hard to ignore and in our state, requires disclosure.

I think the former homeowner must have known. The stainless cover that was up there was in mint condition and the 4 tapcons came out easily so they hadn't seen much of the elements. I'm willing to bet the new cover was to add a bit of curb appeal as the old one may have been in poor condition and would have drawn more attention to the prospective home buyer or inspector.
Also the caulking was actually between the bricks where the mortar used to be.
and as far as the brickwork........ I think they may only have to tear down maybe 6 or 7 rows, the rest may just need a bit of grinding and remortaring.........

To heck with the inspector. That mess calls for a trip out back of the woodshed with the previous homeowner. Up close and personal.

That sucker could of killed some folks. There can't be a solid morter joint in any one of those tiles all of the way down. And T-N-B is stuck with fixing that or disclosing it when he sells. Liner or no liner.

Holy Crap! I'm surprised those winds we had a couple weekends ago did't blow them bricks all over the place! WTF- Wheres the crown? Man I can only see Elks expression after climbing all the way up there, Man! uh new install method huh -yeah just move the flue to the right a little, no back to the left.......dang!

Dan the cost will start at $500 and go up from there. to do the work he will probably need to setup staging

He has to remove all bricks down to a solid base which once removing tthe loose top ones may extend down a bit further
For years water has been entering inside that chimney.

either pull your insert out or cover it with plastic and those pieces of plywood mortar and cement chips will fall down that chimney for sure

Home inspectors are a joke. My electrical panel is covered in rust with golf-ball sized corrosion on the bolts of the main breaker and water was dripping off it. My inspector looks at that and says, "Oh, just needs a cleaning it's in great shape". I was thinking, just needs a cleaning? Bring in an electrician after buying the house it's so bad HE won't even do the work to replace & repair the problems and tells me to call someone else to do the work. $1850 which ended up being rewiring, replacing the panel, all breakers, new meter, and connectors to the pole. He was one of those "can't go on the roof, can't crawl in attics" home inspectors. He pops the attic hatch, says I should add insulation and with a flashlight looks at the roof and says looks great, the roof as I checked it from the outside looks to have 10 years! I wondered... why is there so many water stains on the ceilings. After buying the house, found out the source of the water stains the roof had 12 leaks. Cost for new roof, $5850. He told me the boiler was a workhorse, I'll get many more years out of it but there were 2 leaky valves that should be replaced. I thought it strange, the amount of corrosion on and around the boiler and looked like there was a lot of replaced pipes everywhere giving me the sign they were at end of life and springing leaks. I go to replace those 2 leaky valves and my pump pliers are crunching the pipe everywhere like it's aluminum foil. I spent the next 14 hours fixing leak after leak. Everytime I fixed one, two more would spring up. I nearly collapsed from exhaustion after 14 hours and left with 8 leaks still needing to be fixed. I ended up replumbing and repiping my house for $1,800. He said the structure of the house was in great shape, since he "couldn't" look in the attic I guess the rafters aren't part of the structure. With the leaks for who knows how long the rafters were in bad shape. I had to straighten them out, and ended up I'd better just sister each and every one of them with a 2x12. I ended up going from the eave all the way to the ridge with the 2x12's. Total cost was about $1500, and took me probably 120 hours.

I was so disappointed with my home inspector I looked into finding out what it takes to become a Home Inspector, even the drunk guy living in the dumpster of Walmart would've done a better job.

Rhome I did not do you home inspection I used to do them. About 8 RE offices would pass out my name then the phone stopped ringing I found out I cost the realators too many sales
I would check out all the appliances record the date of manufacturer then supply their average life expectancy. For instance a steel boiler last about 10 years If they were 15 years olod and failed within a year I had noted they were on borrowed time. The reason you electrical box rusted out iis the duct seal on the lead in wire. A simple fix ignored for many years should have been quit obsious to any home inspector.

Jeez - this thread hurts to read!

Still working on lining up a mason on short notice. The loose courses of brick are a straightforward repair. I'll guess I'll just have to go with his recommendation on the appropriate fix for the flues. If it takes a liner on the other side as well, that's what I'll do.

-Turner

Ask the mason about adding poured in vermiculite insulation around the flues before capping off, like Dylan suggested. It shouldn't cost that much and could be a real nice investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.