Two different Locust splits, ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machria

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2012
Brookhaven, Long Island
Ok, cut up a downed Locust tree a few weeks ago. A few days ago, I cut up a second one which was in the same woods about 50 yards from the first one. The 2nd one was a much larger tree.

The smaller ones wood is much brighter in color, very yellowish. Hard to see in the pics, the real color is lost in the pic. I'll try to get better pics with better lighting one day.

The larger one has a little bit smoother bark, but they both have the X patern in the bark, and both barks are thick, soft, brown/tan.

Both are heavy and hard with the same woodgrain, and split very easy. Both smell disctinctly like olives.

Is one Black Locust, and the other Honey Locust? Or are the differences just based on the size of the tree?

Bark1_resize.JPG End grain_resize.JPG split1_resize.JPG

Of the two, the larger split is more likely to be honey locust (based on the color and bark), but I'm more knowledgeable about lumber than firewood, and tend to look closely at smooth, machined surfaces rather than splits so I'm not all that useful here. I do know that honey and black locust are very different species that share some physical characteristics and a common name; their growing close together would be a coincidence.

Reactions: ScotO
To me, they both appear to be black locust based off of the wood grain. Honey locust will have some pink color towards the center.

FWIW, I don't disagree with Weezer. If somebody asked me which was black and which was honey I'd answer small and large respectively, but if someone just asked what they each were I'd say both were black.

They are both Black Locust, Honey Locust looks nothing like that.

Reactions: Thistle
They are both black locust. Sometimes how healthy a locust is can determine the degree of yellow in the tree. A dead, dying or one with rot places may be darker. As a locust split dries it gets darker too which follows the same logic. The bark variation that is shown is withing the normal realm. How I know??? My three acre yard is full of locusts:)

Awesome, thanks guys. Got a full cord from these two tree's, will be HOT in here next winter!

FYI, both of these tree's were healthy, they both just came down at the roots (roots pulled in swampy muddy water soaked ground) from the Hurricane.

Honey Locust has salmon-pink heartwood & 'scaly plates' for bark.Much different than BL.

Both very close in density & heat value however.

Attachments

• PICT0043.JPG
    PICT0043.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 168
  • PICT0035.JPG
    PICT0035.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 194
  • PICT0045.JPG
    PICT0045.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 206
  • PICT0051.JPG
    PICT0051.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 185
Black locust you have there. Trees of the same kind can grow 50' apart and look much different. Honey Locust, as stated by others, has a salmon pink wood, scaly bark and, unless its nursery stock, man eating spike thorns !!! all over it.

The bigger a black locust gets, the deeper the furrows in the bark (as illustrated by your first pic). The wood will vary in color from yellow to tan to green and the inner bark is usually a rusty color. If you peel the bark it will have a fine paper-like film under it.

WOW, you date each one of your splits?

LOL those arent splits - they're slabs I milled for future woodworking projects,woodturning/bowl blanks,small benches or for individual sale on Ebay/Craigslist. I seal the ends with a commercial lumber/log sealer to slow down the drying process,keep them either in the shop or outside under cover for 2-3 yrs until they're ready for use.

They sure are some pretty splits!

Yep, they're both black locust. Honey locust has a white sapwood and pink heartwood, along with much thinner bark......

You've got some good stuff there!!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.