Two Things I Learned Recently

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
1. White-Off worked well to remove a stubborn and recurring spot on the glass door of my Quad 2700i.
2. While replacing a cracked baffle (came that way - replacement unit was free) I noticed that one has to be careful about placement of the insulating blanket on top of it so that it does not block gas flow out the stack. I think I had mine too far back. When I readjusted it so that it goes all the way to the back of the plate, there is about 3/4" or so of material exposed up front.

I think that the ceramic insulation is supposed to be flush with the front of the fiber board.

Hey Dave. Talk about a blast from the past!
Yeah, I guess flush would be best but there must've been a little left over, and you don't want to bunch it up.
Also, I never use that stuff. I'm not as fussy anymore and use wet towels and ash.
I'm looking at some nice flames right now.

Do you drive a TDI? I used to be on Fred's when I had a Beetle TDI.

I cracked my baffle board when my poker slipped when I was moving a log that rolled on to the glass. I burned for a couple weeks like that and then I started having problems. Smoke is pouring out from the door when open. So I cleaned the flue. Still no good. I got a new baffle and it came cracked in 2 places. Returning it and will have a replacement in a couple days. Can't hardly use the insert unless I build a complete fire that needs no tending to get going and reload after it's just coals. Poor design IMO.

I just parted with my TDI last week, sad day.

I hear you about the TDI. I had 225k miles on that Beetle. Have a MINI now.

That baffle if fragile, but I successfully removed it a couple times already to clean the flue.
I've had no probs. with smoke, knock on wood.
My last Quad insert, the discontinued 2100i which allowed north/south loading, had a 30 lb. steel baffle. That was harder to remove from cleaning from below, but you could leave it in place and remove the insulation (messy) and brush it from above, not something you'd want to do with the ceramic baffle.

my Jetta had 205k on it, I would have kept it but I had a fantastic deal on a relatives Accord I could not pass up.

I think the problem with the 2700i may be what you you encountered with the insulation. When it cools off I am going to try sticking a webcam off the laptop up above the baffle to see if the insulation is inhibiting the flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.