Typical mid winter supply

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinn

Oct 8, 2008
NY
As I stated in the "Hows Your Tonnage" thread I have 3 tons waiting to burn. The amounts that some of you have stockpiled have me worried. I was hoping 3 would be plenty but if not I was wondering in the past how has been the supply in mid to late winter. I don't mind getting more in late season if needed but are they going to be available? My supplier estimates that based on my house, stove and our climate I should use 2.5-3 ton so that is what I used to base my supply on. I also burn wood but wont be using as much this year as in the past. Oh yeah in case it wasn't obvious this is my first year heating with pellets!

Last year was my first year burning, I went through 3 tons by April, then I picked up 10 bags that lasted me for the month of April, this year I have 3 1/2 tons I burn 24/7 on room temp mode, last year it as a mild winter in the NYC area, and I use the stove to supplement my FHA system. You can always pick up more if you need it.

It really depends on your house. I have 1100 SQ feet and I have 2 tons and will go through about 3. (Which I will buy loose as I go) so depends how big, old, and/or drafty your house is.

I have a digital thermostat on the second floor (zone 2) that kicks on for two hours total a day. (if needed) So at 5:30 - 6:30am before we need to get out of bed and at 7-8PM before we put the kids to bed. With this setup I close the doors off to the upstairs during the day, so I'm not heating the second floor when no one is up there (heating with stove) then at night I leave them open (just bedrooms on 2nd fl)

I also use a digital thermostat downstairs (zone 1) for the days when I won’t need the stove on while I'm gone. I have it configured to kick on at 4:30-5:30PM before I get home to take the chill out of the house then I will turn the stove on right when I get in.
I use my Stove for offsetting costs and with this setup it works. This also allows me not to have to burn my stove 24/7 all the time, and with using next to no oil!

There will be plenty mid season available. As for tonnage....depends on your house....

Being your first season it will be difficult for you to know exactly how
much you need. Too many variables.
3 ton is about average.

Hopefully the demand will slow down a little by mid winter as
many have already placed their orders for the season.

Yeah I know that the exact usage will be hard to predict especially as I will still use wood some, I am more worried about being able to find pellets in say March or so if I need to. If I can't find any then I will just turn on the furnace or burn more wood so I am more wondering what past seasons have been like finding supply mid season.

Skinn said:
Yeah I know that the exact usage will be hard to predict especially as I will still use wood some, I am more worried about being able to find pellets in say March or so if I need to. If I can't find any then I will just turn on the furnace or burn more wood so I am more wondering what past seasons have been like finding supply mid season.

Last March I had no problem at all finding pellets.....and all indications is it will be that way next March as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.