*Ugh - Starting Over - What Would You Do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BsFire

Mar 12, 2015
Ohio
I'm completely racking my brain on what to go with here - which seems like that’s a common thing when making a hearth decision. So, I’m back and looking for advice.

We are now wanting to put a stove on the main level of our ranch.

The question is... WHAT WOULD YOU DO? Seriously - if this were your home how would you go about replacing the existing fireplace with an actual heat source? I’m kind of starting over - so looking for any and ALL suggestions. I've included some pics of the current setup below.

Here’s what we’ve got and things to know:

• Roughly 5000 sq ft open floor plan ranch (first floor = 2800 sq ft)
• Well insulated with 10’ vaulted ceilings in great room (which is where the fireplace is)
• Current opening dimensions: 36” w X 29” h X 24 1/2” d (at base) 21” d at top of arch (brick is angled toward the top of arch)
• Chimney Height: 15’ from crown to fireplace floor

• Reliability is definitely important (I don’t want something that is known to have problems)
• I’d really like to have the option of having a fire when the electric is out
• Looking for something that’s quiet (fairly close to the tv)
• We want a good heat source main living area(s) - but we aren't looking to heat the whole house with this

Other considerations:
• Large glass (we want to see the fire as much as possible)
• Don't want so much heat that we can’t sit close to the fire (couch will be roughly 5’ away from the hearth)
• Looks are important (not wanting something that looks like an antique - or too modern)
• Would really like a surround that will match the arch in the stone. Of course we’d be looking at having one made. Not sure which inserts (if that’s what we go with) have “removable” surrounds?

Given all of this… what would you do?

Really looking forward to hearing all of your suggestions. Thanks in advance!!

Current_Fireplace_Doors_Closed.jpgCurrent_Fireplace_Doors_Open.jpgCurrent_Fireplace_Inside.jpgChimney_Deck_View.jpg

That arch looks very nice. The arch really limits stoves based on height without extending the hearth. But I’d try. Look at Stuv.?? Maybe?? No skip that. Don’t go smaller than 1.75 cu ft. You won’t have many options. Exhausting the search for free standers I’d be looking for an insert. Flush would be better than protruding. I’d be looking at Pacific energy, Osborne, Lopi, and QuadraFire. That’s the logical me.

The me that’s wants to do something amazing me would find someone to install a metal cantilevered hearth extension of top of existing hearth or a hearth extension on the wood floor so I could install any rear vent stove with outlet under 28” and skip the insert. The Stove would sit out in front of the fireplace opening. My aesthetic choice would be a Jotul. F45 or F500. The practical me wouldn’t want a new model stove that might have problems so I’d keep looking or wait a year or two to see how they function. Pros here are great fire viewing and no noise.
Just my thoughts.
Evan

That arch looks very nice. The arch really limits stoves based on height without extending the hearth. But I’d try. Look at Stuv.?? Maybe?? No skip that. Don’t go smaller than 1.75 cu ft. You won’t have many options. Exhausting the search for free standers I’d be looking for an insert. Flush would be better than protruding. I’d be looking at Pacific energy, Osborne, Lopi, and QuadraFire. That’s the logical me.

The me that’s wants to do something amazing me would find someone to install a metal cantilevered hearth extension of top of existing hearth or a hearth extension on the wood floor so I could install any rear vent stove with outlet under 28” and skip the insert. The Stove would sit out in front of the fireplace opening. My aesthetic choice would be a Jotul. F45 or F500. The practical me wouldn’t want a new model stove that might have problems so I’d keep looking or wait a year or two to see how they function. Pros here are great fire viewing and no noise.
Just my thoughts.
Evan

All good thoughts - thanks! If we were too extend, it would have to be on the floor (although I like the cantilevered idea). I moved the couch out of the way to get a good pic of the hearth and we wouldn't want to lose anymore space. I figure we could always add some tile, or even a rug temporarily if an extension is needed.

Now that we've finally (although I've used that word before) decided on putting something on the main level I thought it would be fairly easy. The arch and surround is just another thing to figure out.

You have a nicely elevated hearth. I'd go with an insert that protrude out a little, instead of a flush model. Better heat dissipation.

Reactions: BsFire
Yes, I second what Evan said. Three choices, an insert in the existing fireplace. But finding a stove that fits in that arched fireplace may be a challenge. And most have fans, that do make noise and require power. Another option would be to put a stove in a different location. Not a crazy idea as you will need to put in a chimney liner in your fireplace.

Or as suggested build out the existing hearth and set a stove on it. Love the cantilevered idea. I would do this, 1 piece, Gun bluing steel, 1" I believe someone here recently did this. Cut it to cover the top of all the hearth and into the fireplace. Cantilevered out to the required distance for the stove. I guessing the rear of the stove would be backed up to the existing stone. But check on that.

All stoves or inserts today have large glass fronts that at times has a rolling fire that washes the glass. Actually much better than your fireplace. Generally stoves produce the most heat, and most have no fans.

I'd look at installing an insert without the factory surround and have a custom surround made to fill the arch. Go large unless the great room is closed off or separated by a doorway from the rest of the floor.

I'd look at installing an insert without the factory surround and have a custom surround made to fill the arch. Go large unless the great room is closed off or separated by a doorway from the rest of the floor.

That is definitely a route we might take... thanks!

With the insert surrounds - how are they attached normally? Are they typically one piece, or can they be detached easily?

I'd like to go large, as long we can still sit close enough given the couch location. With a large insert, do you think would we still be able to sit within 5' or so without roasting?

Power-out heat for 5000sf with 10' ceilings and the heat output can't be high? That's not a recipe for success in the first place. On top of that, it needs to be an insert (which typically means fans), and it needs to be quiet (no fans).

Consider a more decorative insert in the fireplace and a large functional freestanding stove in a central location. You cannot achieve all of your goals with one insert.

If you are determined to try with one insert, check the Kuma Sequoia insert. It is designed to run fanless and is a larger stove.

Reactions: buc74 and SpaceBus
Does the house have zoned heating? Reason I ask is, I doubt you'll find a stove that will heat that much area. Wood stoves play havoc on thermostats. Hate to have the rest of the house cold just to look at a fire. If you are zoned then there are probably quite a few that would heat the area and provide the ambiance you desire.

Look for a stove that works as a freestander or insert like a Buck. You could set something like that in there with no legs and they look good with out the trim. Years back Lopi made one called flex I believe some one else makes something like that now. You could put a cover over the liner maybe use 8" black stove pipe?

That is definitely a route we might take... thanks!

With the insert surrounds - how are they attached normally? Are they typically one piece, or can they be detached easily?

I'd like to go large, as long we can still sit close enough given the couch location. With a large insert, do you think would we still be able to sit within 5' or so without roasting?
They often come in 3 pieces top, and 2 sides that are joined to act as one unit. A custom surround can be made to fit within the arch rather than on the surface of the stonework. You might be able to keep the current metal door frame and just remove the doors. Some stoves even have the option to get a brushed nickel door to match.

You control the amount of heat coming from the stove. Build a smaller fire when the weather is milder. In very cold weather the heat will be welcome. 5ft away will be warm if the fire is burning intensely, but not too bad with a moderate fire.

Look for a stove that works as a freestander or insert like a Buck. You could set something like that in there with no legs and they look good with out the trim. Years back Lopi made one called flex I believe some one else makes something like that now. You could put a cover over the liner maybe use 8" black stove pipe?
This is our Kuma Alpine we just put in without the surround, looks allot like the Buck. Puts out a ton of heat and is getting 9-11 hour burn times with the 1.8 fire box. Not a pretty stove but functionally amazing in my opinion.

IMG_2251.JPG

buc74, can you take a moment to write up a short review in the ratings section? There are none yet for the Alpine and only a few for Kuma.

Power-out heat for 5000sf with 10' ceilings and the heat output can't be high? That's not a recipe for success in the first place. On top of that, it needs to be an insert (which typically means fans), and it needs to be quiet (no fans).

Consider a more decorative insert in the fireplace and a large functional freestanding stove in a central location. You cannot achieve all of your goals with one insert.

If you are determined to try with one insert, check the Kuma Sequoia insert. It is designed to run fanless and is a larger stove.

Totally get that - but I'm not expecting this to be our only heat source, or replace the furnace. I might of thrown you off with listing the total house sq ft ... I'm just looking to replace the old heat sucking fireplace with some supplemental heat that we can enjoy. I'd really like to heat the open area (not including bedrooms/bathrooms) which is about 1300 (open) sq ft. based on my wall to wall measurements.

We will be watching tv, close to the fire - so ideally we're looking for something that isn't too loud or hot that would help heat some of the main/open living area.

What I listed out is kind of a wish list - and just looking for some ideas and feedback based on the current fireplace situation.

I've heard good things about the Sequoia - but would that be too much for the 1300-ish area?

This is our Kuma Alpine we just put in without the surround, looks allot like the Buck. Puts out a ton of heat and is getting 9-11 hour burn times with the 1.8 fire box. Not a pretty stove but functionally amazing in my opinion.

View attachment 266705

I like this - and it would work great for the basement situation, but we'd like the upstairs to have more of a finished look. Will keep this in mind for the basement for sure - thanks!!

I've heard good things about the Sequoia - but would that be too much for the 1300-ish area?
How is this area connected to the rest of that floor? Is there a door, a large opening or is it wide open? Is the stairwell nearby?

The Sequoia has not been released for 2020. There is the Cascade LE insert that is worth checking out.

Reactions: moresnow
How is this area connected to the rest of that floor. Is there a door, a large opening or is it wide open? Is the stairwell nearby

Consider it pretty much wide open with no doors and 10'+ ceilings (only diving walls). That 1300 sq ft all shares the same floor (great room, kitchen, dining room and office). There is one wall between the main living area and the kitchen - but that is coming out next year when we remodel the kitchen which will open it up even more - so I guess you could say it's one open room for the most part. Any heat that makes it down the hallway or into the bedrooms I'll consider an added bonus.

Last edited:
buc74, can you take a moment to write up a short review in the ratings section? There are none yet for the Alpine and only a few for Kuma.

Will do, I had forgotten totally. I'll likely wait a few weeks yet just cuz we've had like only 8 fires so far. Plus not very cold either here in WI.
Oddly not much out there if you want to research the Kuma stoves.

*Just realized that I said that "we are wanting to put a stove on the main level..." in my original post. That was probably a little misleading...

We are wanting to put a stove or insert on the main level now (vs the basement)...

So basically, looking for insert/stove or any other ideas/suggestions. Thanks all!

There's obviously going to be some give and take...

One thought would be to go with the Alderlea T5 Insert. I've always liked the look of these.

Current_Fireplace_Alderlea_T5_Insert_LE.jpg

I'll have to do more research, but they seem to be reliable.
I believe they will still burn without power - but will need to confirm. This isn't a deal breaker.

We could then just skip on the custom surround idea and get it done.

What do you guys think about this?

If you scaled the image kind of close, ie the surround will cover the opening and not all of the arch stones, I think that looks very nice. I think the big stones still give you the sense of the arched opening. You will have to run the power cord somewhere.

Three things come to mind as you are planning/thinking about this:

1. Go ahead and get your wood supply now for next year and thereafter. Never to early to get wood and let it dry. My neighbor looks at my 5 cords of 2 year stacked and covered wood every day. Today he had a cord delivered by a local supplier, which I can guarantee is no under 20% moisture. This is just before Thanksgiving, no way he will have a clean or satisfying burn with that recent purchase. If you have 3 or 4 cords already cut, split and stacked, then good for you. If not put it on your schedule now as that may be just as important as what unit you select.

2. Consider your lifestyle. Do you have the time to gather wood. Tend the fire. Do you have kids or animals that can take time away from managing a stove. Some units like a Blaze King are 'set it and forget it' but may not have the visual appeal you desire. Others may look nice but require more attention to cutting the air intake, ash removal, loading and wood storage. Remember that this may be a commitment that you think sounds easy and then turn out to be more time than you expected.

3. Beware of the dark side of wood burning. Some get into this casually and then get consumed by how much they enjoy the warmth, the fuel and dollar savings, and the visual appeal of a fire constantly burning in ones house. If that is a possibility, then consider that when sizing a unit. Make it big enough to heat as much of the house as you can in the event you decide this is a really useful project and not just a weekend ambience element.

PS: House square footage is based on the above grade living area. Finished basements are never included in the living area calculation (even though they add value). You said a 5,000 square foot ranch, you really have a 2,800 sf ranch with a 2200 sf finished basement. That makes a big difference in descriptive terminology as well as helping advise as to potential units in your situation.

Reactions: BsFire and moresnow
Don't want so much heat that we can’t sit close to the fire (couch will be roughly 5’ away from the hearth)
Consider it pretty much wide open with no doors and 10'+ ceilings (only diving walls).
We have a highly radiant stove (Oslo), and a set of seating all within 5ft or so. Cool air here travels from distant rooms and from upstairs, and heads straight for the stove, with warm air traveling back again. Most of the time things are cozy near the stove. It's fairly easy to regulate, and with you having a larger area initially, and a larger area overall, the results should be similar. It seems we spend most of our time near the stove in winter. That doesn't mean the house is cold, just that the radiant heat is really nice to be near.
2000sqft
Two story
Upper mid west climate
The F500 Oslo is a fairly large stove, with only the F600 being larger in that group.

It seems we spend most of our time near the stove in winter. That doesn't mean the house is cold, just that the radiant heat is really nice to be near.

When you get used to a comfortable 150° in your chair six inches away from the stove, 70° seems cold! :)

I have a chair right next to the stove "for loading", though I sit in it many times per day and only load the stove every 12-24 hours most of the year (BK). In the summer I leave it there and look at it sadly... but my favorite chair is just no good in July. :(

Last edited: