Uh oh...cracks!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

slayer7

Burning Hunk
Oct 20, 2008
CT
I had to dust off my username as I haven't checked in here in a while. Everything looks to be still in order, lol. Anyway, did my annual stove cleaning/chimney sweep on the Englander insert the other day before the heating season is about to start and got a nasty surprise. By the bottom left hinge, there's a nasty crack. At one point, a few years ago, there was a hairline crack in this spot and I mig welded it from the inside. It seemed to be holding up well, until now where it has cracked above the weld extending all the way to the hinge and also looks warped now. Additionally, I didn't notice until later, another crack has appeared right at the latch location on the right side. I was about to try to grind down the weld and take a shot at repairing that first spot again but after finding the second crack at the latch, I'm wondering if this unit is not safe anymore in general and not worth trying to fix. Thoughts?

20231013_143644.jpg20231013_143550.jpg20231013_143626.jpg

I would suspect that if you have two cracks you can see, there might be one or two that you can't. If you have had the stove for a while and got your money's worth out of it, it might be time for a replacement. If you can find an EPA certified insert you can get that 30% Tax Credit which will ease the financial pain a bit

Got 13 seasons out of it so far but thought it would last longer to be honest. Was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with their stoves and with Englanders in particular.

Got 13 seasons out of it so far but thought it would last longer to be honest. Was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with their stoves and with Englanders in particular.
If you don't mind me asking.. How do you like the Husky 22 ton splitter?

Have had it 10 or 12 years now, works pretty good overall, only has trouble with the knottiest and stringiest wood which I try to avoid these days anyway. Haven't had any troubles with it. One star off for it not splitting the wood by itself while I watch TV but that's about it, lol. Bought the log cradle from some guy on ebay which I believe someone used to recommend on here, forgot his name. But it's light years better than the Husky brand one and just lifts on and off, no hassle and saves a lot of back and foot trauma. Not sure how the newer ones are though, I seem to recall TSC sells a different brand these days...

@Dix has one of about the same vintage.

Yup its done. 13 years out of a cheap entry level stove isn't bad really

If the 13 had those issues, I'd be looking for a new (er) stove.

Don't run the 13 that often these days.