Uh oh. Harman 3 blink status.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P38X2

Minister of Fire
Mar 11, 2012
Jaffrey, NH
OK, I just checked the temp setting on my new P68 and noticed a 3 blink status- "Incomplete ESP circuit, or the ESP has gone out of range a specific number of times." There's MAYBE 5 bags of pellets through it. It's not even close to needing cleaning. It has been idling basically since I got it so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. My guess is it shouldn't. I would idle my P38 for long periods without issue.

The other thing that is coinciding with the status light blinking is a ringing/beeping/buzzing noise. It's hard to explain. I started noticing it last Saturday and it would make the noise a second or two before the auger would feed pellets. I'm currently shutting the stove down to reset the board and yet I STILL hear the noise every 4-5 min, despite the fact the stove isn't feeding pellets. I'm 99.9999% sure it's nothing loose behind the stove.

Any ideas or solutions?

Hello

Did you see this new P68 with the bad hopper switch? That caused the 6 blink error.

In your case of the 3 blink error, I would take the flue vent off the back and clean the ESP probe and then check the connector on the other end of the ESP probe to make sure it is plugged into the control panel securely. If it is dirty or loose, that maybe the problem.

See yellow arrow in pics below. Click to Enlarge.
Hope this helps

Attachments

• Uh oh. Harman 3 blink status.
    ESPprobe1ya.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 974
  • Uh oh. Harman 3 blink status.
    ESPprobe2ya.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:
Also, to reset the board, do I HAVE to wait for the stove to complete it's cool down before I unplug it? I'm thinking if I just pull the plug now, it'll fire off another error code.

Thanks, Don. I'll take a peek in both those places and see what's up.

Also, to reset the board, do I HAVE to wait for the stove to complete it's cool down before I unplug it? I'm thinking if I just pull the plug now, it'll fire off another error code.

It is always safer to let the stove cool down, but it should not give any more codes

Too late, already done cooling ;)

Thanks for the pix. What's that other ESP looking thing in the flue in your pic?

Board held in by 2 screws?...just pulls out?

Too late, already done cooling ;)

Thanks for the pix. What's that other ESP looking thing in the flue in your pic?

Just the light from the flash bouncing on the edge of the firebox down towards the front.

Board held in by 2 screws?...just pulls out?

2 screws and then pull and unhook the flange from the other side by twisting the control board.

The ESP wire is plugged into the prongs towards the bottom of the control panel

ESP connection seemed good. Went old school P38 style, under and up. Yes, I cut my hand doing it that way ;)

Cleaned probe. Just had the finest coating of powdery ash on it. One light swipe with the brush and it looked good as new.

BTW, this stove has NO hopper switch. Just noticed that.

Stove back up and running. No codes as of yet. I suspect it'll be blinking again in the next couple days.

Now, if this condition is NOT caused by a faulty ESP, but an idle burn that is not satisfying the ESP, how can this be remedied? Is there something the dealer can adjust on the board?..a trim pot or something?

Stove back up and running. No codes as of yet. I suspect it'll be blinking again in the next couple days.

Now, if this condition is NOT caused by a faulty ESP, but an idle burn that is not satisfying the ESP, how can this be remedied? Is there something the dealer can adjust on the board?..a trim pot or something?

No, nothing to adjust. If you get the error again, it is a bad ESP probe or bad control board. Let's see what happens first

OK. Jeez, brand new stove! I guess chit happens. I'll keep the thread updated. Thanks again, Don.

On the bright side, while it was blinking, the stove seemed to be running normally.

OK, I've identified the "ringing/beeping/buzzing" noise as the distribution fan starting to spool up, then stop again. It just did it 2-3 times in succession. It's getting worse as I type. It will turn on for a few seconds, then off for half a second, then on for 10 seconds, then off again. Something's definitely wonky.

there just so happens to be a very competent dealer up there in Jaffrey (not so good-looking, but quite competent!)....didja say it was a new stove?! Seems like it might be covered under the warranty.....mosey on over to the original dude who did you the favor by selling you the stove and ask about it....3 blinkers are the most common of errors....might have been a hiccup.....if it continues tho...well, most likely time for a new ESP.....the helpful dealer can slap the ole DDM into that thing and see what the ESP is reading......im guessing its erroneous readings......

I'm gonna stop by there this AM and run it by them. Hopefully they can stop by with a DDM today or tomorrow. The stove is still running, blink free, so I won't have to use the liquid gold, therefore no rush.

I can understand an ESP hiccup, but I've read the distribution fan is controlled by another component on the board....though if the ESP circuit was open, that would tell whatever that component is to not start the fan. The noise the dist motor makes is VERY similar to the noise a cordless drill makes if you just barely pull the trigger. Sort of a whining/squealing noise. It's acting almost as if it's on the cusp of needing to be on or off, but the board can decide what it wants to do. If I turn the temp up, the stove acts normally, as far as I can tell. Didn't run it that way for long, as the house was already plenty warm, so maybe I'll crank her up a bit this AM.

With my limited knowledge/experience in this area, the ESP being defective sure makes sense.

Reactions: Lousyweather
I'm gonna stop by there this AM and run it by them. Hopefully they can stop by with a DDM today or tomorrow. The stove is still running, blink free, so I won't have to use the liquid gold, therefore no rush.

I can understand an ESP hiccup, but I've read the distribution fan is controlled by another component on the board....though if the ESP circuit was open, that would tell whatever that component is to not start the fan. The noise the dist motor makes is VERY similar to the noise a cordless drill makes if you just barely pull the trigger. Sort of a whining/squealing noise. It's acting almost as if it's on the cusp of needing to be on or off, but the board can decide what it wants to do. If I turn the temp up, the stove acts normally, as far as I can tell. Didn't run it that way for long, as the house was already plenty warm, so maybe I'll crank her up a bit this AM.

With my limited knowledge/experience in this area, the ESP being defective sure makes sense.

sure does to me too, if it continues

I should have an answer in a few hours. The tech I spoke with seemed to be leaning towards a bad board. I was fortunate enough to get a 90 sec vid of the panel while the dist blower was rapidly turning on and off, which will undermine the stove's attempt to hide any issue not detected by the DDM when it tries behaving normally when the tech shows up ;)

I should have an answer in a few hours. The tech I spoke with seemed to be leaning towards a bad board. I was fortunate enough to get a 90 sec vid of the panel while the dist blower was rapidly turning on and off, which will undermine the stove's attempt to hide any issue not detected by the DDM when it tries behaving normally when the tech shows up ;)

Glad to see you getting the problem taken care of while its still reletively warm. It would suck to have to go through this in January.

Well, the owner of Heartline Stove Shop came over AFTER HOURS to check my stove out. Hooked the DDM up to it and as expected, everything looked normal. He brought a board with him and was gonna just switch it out to eliminate the possibility of it being the problem. He put it in shutdown mode and after a few minutes the dist fan started acting up. He put the DDM back on and the ESP reading was all over the place. Unfortunately, he didn't bring a replacement. He's coming back tomorrow AM with an ESP.....and a board just in case.

Sounds like pretty good service to me!

Reactions: Harman Lover 007
Certainly does sound like good service. I don't get upset with things going wrong, as long as the dealer stands behind their product. There have been some horror stories on this board with people getting ignored when they try and get service for their stove. Glad your dealer is treating you right.

Reactions: P38X2
New ESP installed this AM. Seems to be running normally so far :)

Status
Not open for further replies.