Ultr Premium White Pine by AWF

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Morrissey

Feeling the Heat
Feb 25, 2009
Stoughton, Ma
ok, so I tried my 2nd bag of these, the 1st bag was like 30% sawdust,(just happened to need for an oil spill), this bag however was much better. A fellow worker bought 2 tons at hd and likes them too. Good heat and low ash... supposedly .25 %

Reactions: Mrr211
These were in the Greenfield Mass. Home Depot yesterday. Probably won't last long. I 'd have tried them but I'm all set for the season.

I bought a ton of these just last week. I've been using Dry Creek and like these just as much. I have burned 6 bags and they have been pretty consistent. They actually seem to burn hotter and very little ash. I paid 239 for a ton. Very happy and will buy again.

These are the best pellets I have tried so far but are about $1.50 more per bag that the hardwood pellets I have bought. Low ash and good heat. Night and day difference than the Lumberjacks I tried this year.

Tested 2 bags of these and that was enough for me to go out and secure 2 ton at Home Depot, $270 plus the "Lowes 5%." Its worth it though, I woke up this morning after a full day of burining yesterday and had to ask my fiance if she had already cleared out the burn pot of the ash because there was hardly anything there. I bought 3 ton of Stove Chow last month and now I'm wishing I hadnt bought so much, but now at 5 ton for the season I'm done. Hopefully I can keep myself from stopping in every hardware store I pass to "just see what they have."

I have mixed reviews on these personally. I bought a half ton out of necessity and the raving reviews from the store associate. I have burned 3 bags 1.Lot's of fines and high ash content. 2. Much better and good heat, I thought that the first bag was just a fluke. 3. Kind of in between, no as many fines but my burn pot was 1/3 full in the morning and glass was dirty. I will say the house was very warm. I am somewhat worried about the burn rate on these. Temps have only been in the high 36-40 overnight and I'm noticing I seem to be using alot more pellets than when I put in a few bags of th Pres To Logs. Anybody else see themburning quicker?

Overall would I say they are better than Green Supreme, Regular AWF, Nation's Choice Etc., Absolutely! But would I rather have more of the Pres To Logs or the FSU's, I think so. Cheaper and don't see much difference with heat or cleanliness.

On a side note I was in the Home Depot in Taunton today and spoke with a very nice associate in Lawn and Garden. He said they have over 50 tons of the AWF Ultra Pine. I asked about if they were getting more Chow or Logs and he said the same as others, they dont control it. He did say the AWF Ultra Premium hadn't been selling like the others. Had gotten only avg reviews from people and many were like me waiting for the other brands. He said management has voiced their concerns as well, but in the end corporate sets the pricing etc. Let's hope they get the message and give us some other cheaper options.

I have been burning these now for about a week and have notices they burn faster. I'm burning them with Dry Creek, alternating the bags. The AWF do burn hotter and I have very little ash and window seems cleaner. I have noticed the flame is much higher when the AWF are in the pot. I would think if I adjust my feed rate down a little and go for the same size flame they will burn at the same rate. I will be doing a test to see how long each bag last.

Its funny that you say your flame is higher with the AWF, I was burning Stove Chow before the AWF and the flame is much lower with the AWF, but the heat output is higher. I have an Accentra 52i as well, maybe our Harmans like these more than Mrr211s Quad. Very happy that I wont be searching for pellets in January, now I just need to find space for the last 2 ton I bought.

Thanks for both your replies. Let me know how you make out with adjusting the feed rate. I will prob give that a shot also to try and get longer life out of a bag. I just put in a bag of the regular hardwood AWF (green bag) about an hour ago. Just running to take the chill out of the house. Supposed to be beautiful today so heat shouldn't be a big concern lol.

I picked up a few bags of these from the HD on route 1 in Norwood,MA. Burned my first bag last night. Heat out out was great, more fines than I expected but not the worse I've seen and absolutely NO ash which inpressed me. Just about every other brand I've burned has major ash in my Accentra.

Going to use a few bags in the next few days with temps expected to dip into the high 20's. I will def get a better gauge on heat output. Thus far out of the FSU, Timber Heat, AWF Hardwood(green bag), AWF Premium Softwood, and Pres To Logs I like the Logs or AWF Premiuim. Seeing that HD charges $.40 more a bag for the softwoods I'd take the Logs if I had a choice.
Hope everyone is enjoying the heat from their stoves during this cold spell.

$270 a ton seems good considering the local agway has them for $349 ton. Where in CT did you get them at that price?

$270 a ton seems good considering the local agway has them for $349 ton. Where in CT did you get them at that price?
Ouch, My local Runnings store is still selling them for $239 a ton.

Spoke to soon. I just checked and was told last ton sold yesterday and price will be going up on new shipment that is coming in around Thanksgiving. I knew I should have bought anther ton.

I tried these the other day and wasn't impressed. The ash was much lower than the MWP I had been using, but the heat output was a lot less. I'd rather have a little more ash and do a little cleaning and have more heat :)

I tried 4 bags of these last week and I was impressed. Low ash, not much fines, good heat. Softwood is hard to find where I live, so I acquired 4 tons this morning. With about 3 tons of various other pellets in storage, I'm set for the winter.

Reactions: AccentraRRT
Bough a ton. I am back and forth between these and the Hamer left from last year. I have found they burn much hotter and so much cleaner than the hardwood. My biggest concern is the amount of fines and the fact that they seem to fall apart more in the hopper. I have a noticeably increased noise level from the auger motor (accentra insert) as if it is fighting to push the sawdust through.

So, I have the opportunity to buy this - don't know the price yet. We do have a stash but would like more. Here on Long Island, prices in general tend to be higher. What is reasonable for these pellets? Where do they fall on the scale of "never buy them no matter how cheap they are" to "buy them no matter how much they cost"? Just trying to gauge if the price is a ripoff or not.

hey PG , i like 'em . they're 5.85 / 285 where i live and think that they're well worth it . good heat and low ash . i would definitely put these up in the premium category .

if you can buy a few bags to try do it . i don't think that you'll be disappointed .

cheers

So, I have the opportunity to buy this - don't know the price yet. We do have a stash but would like more. Here on Long Island, prices in general tend to be higher. What is reasonable for these pellets? Where do they fall on the scale of "never buy them no matter how cheap they are" to "buy them no matter how much they cost"? Just trying to gauge if the price is a ripoff or not.
I paid 5.88/bag for these and was NOT disappointed. By far the best heat and lowest ash I've burned this year.. Wish I could trade my 3 ton of green supremes for 3 ton of these.

I paid $239 a ton in Sept. Was not disappointed. When they come in again, same place said they would be $269 I would buy them at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.