Unbelievable

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean66

Oct 13, 2019
West Virginia
I finally took delivery of my new pe summit pedestal stove yesterday and had nothing but problems it was all quality control problems from the factory. The ash pan wasn’t even welded on one side and the metal strip that has the knockout for the ash dump assembly was on backwards with the knockout on the wrong end. I opened the fire brick up and discovered 5 broken bricks , I went to the dealer and got new ones and got them all installed so now I was ready to put the door on and I got it unpacked only to find the bottom hinge was completely broken off and it wasn’t in the packing anywhere which means it was packaged broken from the factory. I thought that I was buying high quality but apparently they have serious quality control problems and I don’t even want the stove now.

Absolutely not acceptable. Return the stove. This is not normal, the stove was obviously abused, probably in shipping, but perhaps at the dealer through carelessness. Tell the dealer you want a new unit that has proper QC and is undamaged.

I can’t blame this on the dealer , if the door hinge was broken off during shipping why wasn’t it wrapped up in the plastic or in the box with the door and the ash pan simply wasn’t welded on one side and the piece that was on backwards with the knockout in the wrong end was also a factory issue. The fire brick could have been broken in shipping for sure but everything else was just poor workmanship and horrible quality control at the factory..

There should be a slip that has the person's initials who checked the stove. That info needs to get back to PE. Don't accept the stove.

Could have been a Friday end of shift build. Regardless, it's unacceptable and untypical.

Actually it was inspected 3 times and signed by AJ , JH and KA ...these guys must be blind or just slapped initials on it and didn’t really look it over , the boxes had never been opened as far as I could tell.

I am with you Dean. Are there other manufacturing problems present that you cannot see (i.e. welds, missing hardware, etc.)? In a factory, fabrication, assembly, QA, and shipping are separate entities within the facility. It sounds like there were failures across multiple organizations.

Reactions: Ashful
I am with you Dean. Are there other manufacturing problems present that you cannot see (i.e. welds, missing hardware, etc.)? In a factory, fabrication, assembly, QA, and shipping are separate entities within the facility. It sounds like there were failures across multiple organizations.
I don’t know if there are other problems I can’t see or missing hardware but I wouldn’t be surprised , there’s definitely sloppy welds inside the fire box and the baffle is not flat on the rail on one side I’m not sure if that’s normal or not but I know I don’t want the stove

Yeah, you shouldn't be put into a position of trying to inspect the stove for additional problems. Your concern is justified. The dealer needs to work out a replacement with PE.

I had to visit a dealer a few hours away last week. He had PE and regency inserts on display. I sure wasn’t impressed, both looked really cheap to me. The fit and finish sure wasn’t on par with some of the other big brands..

I'd take pictures so you have documentation of a clean non fired stove looking like that, any blemishes in the paint? scuffs would suggest some type of fall from a higher place or something, either way take pics and document all that went on so you have something to fall back on when you contact them, a pic is worth a thousand worlds when speaking with a rep, especially when through email. Take a pic of the inspection report also.

Reactions: Ctwoodtick
I have seen issues with every manufacturer on this site over the years. It just takes one person to not care or not do their job that day. It’s too bad. I hope it all works out for you.

Yes, that got me thinking. It's hard to recall a single major stove mfg. that something like this hasn't happened to. Rais maybe? It's not common, but a real drag when it happens to you. Stand firm and refuse to take the stove. Document all issues and let the dealer know you want a proper replacement.

I took pics of everything and emailed it to Pe and the dealer...I will let you know how this turns out but I can tell you I’m not keeping this stove it cost way to much to put up with all the problems. I’m really disappointed I thought I had made a good decision buying this stove but I definitely didn’t. If your planning on spending almost $3000.00 on a new PE stove you might want to think hard on it or you might be in the same situation I’m in.

Attachments

• 388FF046-396B-4058-A8BA-CA71421438E7.jpeg
    388FF046-396B-4058-A8BA-CA71421438E7.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 319
  • 54EFFEFF-D4B0-4B3A-B33D-562023C93510.jpeg
    54EFFEFF-D4B0-4B3A-B33D-562023C93510.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 344
The problem is not obvious in the first shot. What is that of? Did you document the broken bricks and the cleanout issue too?

Here’s a better pic that’s the ash pan it’s not welded on that side. I have pics of everything here they are

Attachments

• 3DCB9D84-FB68-4440-B68A-3992ACC4091F.jpeg
    3DCB9D84-FB68-4440-B68A-3992ACC4091F.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 265
  • 8B014E10-CAE1-4360-87E5-FB5EF6B44B05.jpeg
    8B014E10-CAE1-4360-87E5-FB5EF6B44B05.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 255
  • 70E1E753-8AA6-43ED-B1FA-B0C993E66597.jpeg
    70E1E753-8AA6-43ED-B1FA-B0C993E66597.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 258
The metal piece has the u shaped knock out on the wrong end and that’s why I couldn’t figure out how to get the ash dump handle through the front of the stove, if you turn it over it’s silver only painted on one side but I fixed this myself marking off the proper end and cut it out with a small hacksaw but I shouldn’t have had to do that it’s all poor quality control issues

Here’s the check list , how can you miss all those problems especially an ash pan not welded on one side and a door with a broken hinge??

Attachments

• 63680329-9680-40D9-89C4-0B28C3C41CB5.jpeg
    63680329-9680-40D9-89C4-0B28C3C41CB5.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 162
I took another pic of the ash pan really cheap made.
It's just a bin that gets filthy dirty. We don't even use ours.

I think a lot of these parts are robotically welded so the damage might have occurred later if it was a poor spot weld that sprung free during rough shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.