Unbelievable

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
So.... Saturday is the day scheduled to pick up the Fireview.

I confirmed with the seller.
I rented the truck.
Got the cash.
Reconfirmed with the seller and...

...he doesn't want to sell it now.

Screwed for the SECOND time.

BrowningBAR said:
So.... Saturday is the day scheduled to pick up the Fireview.

I confirmed with the seller.
I rented the truck.
Got the cash.
Reconfirmed with the seller and...

...he doesn't want to sell it now.

Screwed for the SECOND time.

Take hostages. It's the only way. Oh, and people will take you far more serious if you carry a good pistol.

J/K, hate to hear that the seller is having second thoughts. :shut:

This is two stoves in a row I lost. The first was the hearthstone Mansfield that was sold out from underneath me.

You could drive out to Illinois and pick that one up. :cheese:

Sorry, bud, that blows!!

wendell said:

Sorry, bud, that blows!!

Already checked. That stove is gone.

BrowningBAR said:
wendell said:

Sorry, bud, that blows!!

Maybe you two could work out some kind of deal with Woodstock to have Wendell's stove shipped to BrowningBar for a reduced price?

Todd said:
BrowningBAR said:
wendell said:

Sorry, bud, that blows!!

Maybe you two could work out some kind of deal with Woodstock to have Wendell's stove shipped to BrowningBar for a reduced price?

I don't think that will work as Wendell is still in the 6 month grace period where he can still return the stove.

Thats why I really hate craigslist. Both the Philly one and the Reading one are plagues with people who think it's OK to have second thoughts about things.

OR, misrepresentation. There's been a few times with car parts and whatnot where I show up and it's not as described. Sometimes it's ignorance, but sometimes they should know better. Case in point I went to grab this radiator two weeks ago for the Big Red One (1988 Chevy 350 half ton upgraded to 3/4 ton), the radiator was used but the radiator had holes in it. Now you tell me what good a raidator with holes in it is worth. This guy knows better, he took it off his truck BECAUSE he knows it's broke.

I'm quickly figuring out craigslist is useless.

BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:
BrowningBAR said:
wendell said:

Sorry, bud, that blows!!

I don't think that will work as Wendell is still in the 6 month grace period where he can still return the stove.

That's what I was trying to get at. He is thinking about returning his stove, if he does he can tell Woodstock that he knows someone that would be interested in purchasing it. Thery do have sales from time to time on returned stoves at reduced prices, maybe he can hook you up?

I've bought many items I found on Craigslist (including my cabin in WV). It's just a case of "buyer beware". If it's more than a few minutes distance, I always call and ask all the questions I can, to make sure they haven't omitted some pertinent info. Many times, I choose not to buy after seeing it, just because it still isn't what I expected. I haven't been deliberately lied to, but then again, maybe I've just been lucky.

Sorry to hear that man. I've also had only bad luck on craigslist. More than once Ive gotten the "I'll wire the money and you give the extra to my Nigerian Shipping company" scam.

What often happens with Craigslist is that someone else calls after the seller agrees to sell, and makes a higher offer. $200 more or whatever. The seller tells the first guy they don't want to sell it, and sells it to the new person.

Browning, you might have to break down and buy direct from Woodstock after all.

Backwoods Savage said:
Browning, you might have to break down and buy direct from Woodstock after all.

Fighting...urge...to...pay...sticker...price.........ARGH!

Two things:

1. If you find a Craigslist score, you call and say "I'll be there tonight, with cash, and if it's as you say, I'm gonna take it." This leaves no time for interlopers or false descriptions.
2. I understand about saving a few bucks, but how much is risk, time, and aggravation worth?! Buy the Gawd Darn stove from Woodstock and support what everybody believes is a great company whilst preventing the former for you.

S

I would like to chime in; the extra dollars you may have from the Company is not where near the frustration you are going thru and they can almost deliver it to your doorstep. Comes all prepackaged; all new parts; clean; plus has a warranty. Sometimes the best deal is the one you did not take.

I understand buying new is the safer and physically easier way to go. But, if I were to have bought a new stove for all, soon to be, three stoves the difference is staggering.

Lets calculate it out.

Vigilant: Paid $400.
If I would have bought a new stove of equal heating the price would have been between $1500-2500 depending on make and model based on what stoves I like.

Intrepid: Paid $400 (might have been $300, can't remember, we'll call it $400)
If I would have bought a new stove the price would have been between $1100-2000 depending on make and model based on what stoves I like.

Third Stove: To Be Determined. Budget of $800-$1500
New stove, if I were to buy a Hearthstone Heritage/Mansfield or Woodstock Fireview would be between between $2500-3500

Total spent: $1900 (averaging that the third stove will cost about $1100)
If purchased new: $5100- $8000

I'm all for purchasing new, but over extending is how the credit crunch happened. I will not charge a stove. If I can not afford it with the cash I have in my pocket I ain't buying it. And don't try and lay the guilt trip of 'support the company', cuz even buying used I would have bought the heat shields, double wall pipe, and future catalytic boxes from Woodstock.

But I haven't told them for sure I am returning it so if you give them a call, you might be careful what you say. ;-)

I'm all for purchasing new, but over extending is how the credit crunch happened. I will not charge a stove. If I can not afford it with the cash I have in my pocket I ain't buying it. And don't try and lay the guilt trip of 'support the company', cuz even buying used I would have bought the heat shields, double wall pipe, and future catalytic boxes from Woodstock.[/quote]

You're dead on BB - more folks thinking like you and we'd actually have an economy. Sorry for the second screw - I say your sig a week ago or so and realized you'd switched from the Mansfield - thought you'd changed your mind on the stove, but now it's clear what happened. Good luck with scoring a new (used) stove!!!!

Credit is why we did not buy our Woodstock stove many, many years ago. We really wanted one but just could not afford it and refused to borrow dollars to buy it. So, when we were ready for a new stove again in 2007 we finally got our Woodstock Fireview and have been very happy since. It was definitely worth the wait but I really do wish we'd had it sooner.

Patapsco Mike said:
What often happens with Craigslist is that someone else calls after the seller agrees to sell, and makes a higher offer. $200 more or whatever. The seller tells the first guy they don't want to sell it, and sells it to the new person.

People are all different. Last summer I put a boat up for sale on CL. A guy called, came and looked at it, was very interested. Another guy called. I told him he was second in line, but I would be happy to work with him if the first guy backed out. Guy #2 was shocked. He thought I was a fool for not dealing with him then and there. Well, guy #1 bought the boat for my asking price and we both walked away happy. Sorry, that's the way I was brought up.

Oh, and the money from the boat became a big portion of the money I used for my new fireplace!

-Speak

Status
Not open for further replies.