Under insulated or undersized

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AngelesCrest

Oct 29, 2017
Southeast
Hey guys, I’m new to the wood burning hobby. I’ve been reading extensively here and just signed up to make my first post. I just pulled the trigger on a Regency CI2600 (cat stove). I’m going to be putting the insert into an existing fireplace with an exterior chimney around 16’. I’m in zone 7, we see about a month and a half of teens and 20s at night, 30s-40s day time temps from late dec to early March. I’m looking to heavily supplement heating a 1970s 2600sqft home. Our heat pump bills have been in excess of $600 the last few February’s.

Anyways, onto my problem, the existing chimney has 2 terra-cotta liners that are 6 3/4” x 11.5” each. I’ve been told that a preinsulated 6” liner will make a 7.25” OD and a 5.5” preinsulated liner will be 6 5/8” OD. I feel the 5.5” ID / 6 5/8” OD liner will be a very close fit if it will fit at all. What are my other options? I’ve watched quite a few YT videos where they stick a noninsulated liner down the chimney. Is this acceptable? What are my options, and what is the best solution? Busting out the terra cotta liner is not an option in my mind at this time. But I need to get a chimney liner system ordered ASAP.

Hey guys, I’m new to the wood burning hobby. I’ve been reading extensively here and just signed up to make my first post. I just pulled the trigger on a Regency CI2600 (cat stove). I’m going to be putting the insert into an existing fireplace with an exterior chimney around 16’. I’m in zone 7, we see about a month and a half of teens and 20s at night, 30s-40s day time temps from late dec to early March. I’m looking to heavily supplement heating a 1970s 2600sqft home. Our heat pump bills have been in excess of $600 the last few February’s.

Anyways, onto my problem, the existing chimney has 2 terra-cotta liners that are 6 3/4” x 11.5” each. I’ve been told that a preinsulated 6” liner will make a 7.25” OD and a 5.5” preinsulated liner will be 6 5/8” OD. I feel the 5.5” ID / 6 5/8” OD liner will be a very close fit if it will fit at all. What are my other options? I’ve watched quite a few YT videos where they stick a noninsulated liner down the chimney. Is this acceptable? What are my options, and what is the best solution? Busting out the terra cotta liner is not an option in my mind at this time. But I need to get a chimney liner system ordered ASAP.
An oval liner might work best in this circumstance.