Understanding Regency Design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stfd26

Hearth Supporter
Feb 17, 2009
Ohio
I am a newbie to burning in a fireplace insert. I've burned in a regular fireplace for years but just bought a Regency i3100L. I learned quickly that I didn't know what I was doing. Fortunately I found this site. I read many of the articles and learned a lot. These articles answered my original questions but also formed many new ones. I'm still reading but wanted to start a topic to try to get answers to some specific questions.

I have read the owners manual several times and searched the net for more detail. I am an engineer and have a compulsion to understand exactly how things work. I've found if I understand the design I can solve any problem.

My insert is in an existing brick basement fireplace in my ranch house built in 1966. The basement is finished. I have a 6" flexible liner inside a 9" clay tile chimney. The liner goes from the insert all the way to the roof. There are two slight bends before it exits at the peak of the roof.

After initially having good luck I started having problems keeping the fire going and smoke coming out when I opened the door. After reading several articles I decided to start from scratch. I removed all the firebrick and cleaned out the firebox. It's probably a good thing I did since there was a large buildup of creosote. I now know this is from incorrect burning practices. I also found that some of the fire brick was installed incorrectly by the installer.

Enough rambling, on to my questions. As I said I'm trying to understand the design and how it works. I tried to attach pictures but I guess I need to properly prepare them to attach.

On the outside of the insert on either side of the door there are verticle grills. The fan intakes air on the bottom and exhausts on the top. What are these grills for?

There are four air tubes across the top connected to a plenum that runs across the bottom back of the firebox. What does this system do?

There are rows of holes across the top of the firebox opening but inside the door seal. What are these holes for?

I believe the draft control rod controls the amount of air that flows from a small opening under a hood just inside the door. Is this correct? Does this draft control also affect all the other mentioned systems?

I apologize for being so long winded and appreciate any assistance I receive.

stfd26 said:
I am a newbie to burning in a fireplace insert. I've burned in a regular fireplace for years but just bought a Regency i3100L. I learned quickly that I didn't know what I was doing. Fortunately I found this site. I read many of the articles and learned a lot. These articles answered my original questions but also formed many new ones. I'm still reading but wanted to start a topic to try to get answers to some specific questions.

I have read the owners manual several times and searched the net for more detail. I am an engineer and have a compulsion to understand exactly how things work. I've found if I understand the design I can solve any problem.

My insert is in an existing brick basement fireplace in my ranch house built in 1966. The basement is finished. I have a 6" flexible liner inside a 9" clay tile chimney. The liner goes from the insert all the way to the roof. There are two slight bends before it exits at the peak of the roof.

After initially having good luck I started having problems keeping the fire going and smoke coming out when I opened the door. After reading several articles I decided to start from scratch. I removed all the firebrick and cleaned out the firebox. It's probably a good thing I did since there was a large buildup of creosote. I now know this is from incorrect burning practices. I also found that some of the fire brick was installed incorrectly by the installer.

Enough rambling, on to my questions. As I said I'm trying to understand the design and how it works. I tried to attach pictures but I guess I need to properly prepare them to attach.

On the outside of the insert on either side of the door there are verticle grills. The fan intakes air on the bottom and exhausts on the top. What are these grills for?
These would be for convection heat.

There are four air tubes across the top connected to a plenum that runs across the bottom back of the firebox. What does this system do?
This is your secondary combustion tubes. If you get her hot as she should be & cut the intake air low or all the way down, you will get a nice burning of the gases flowing around the tubes thus burning cleaner & more efficient, and get a great flaming light show.

There are rows of holes across the top of the firebox opening but inside the door seal. What are these holes for?
Sounds like the air wash to me. Hot air comes out and down the inside of the glass to help keep the glass clean.

I believe the draft control rod controls the amount of air that flows from a small opening under a hood just inside the door. Is this correct? Does this draft control also affect all the other mentioned systems?
Draft control is for adjusting amount of intake combustion air, you want this wide open at start up & reload, and close to if not closed when the splits are good & charred & the stove is hot and up to temp.
Usually in the 400+ degree range. If it drops instead of raises some, then open back up for another 15 mins or so, or until the load is blazing good. You'll get a good feel for this as you use & get to know the new stove.

I apologize for being so long winded and appreciate any assistance I receive.
Ask away, thats what we are all here for, how most of us started, and there is not dumb questions when it comes to safety.
Welcome

OK, I read and followed all the suggestions on how to start and maintain a fire. It sure makes a difference when you know what you're doing. Last night I was able to start a fire quickly, keep it burning hot easily, and woke up this morning to a nice bed of hot coals. A little raking and some fresh wood and it burning great again.

One thing I've noticed though. I'm now burning closer to the front so that I get the full benefit of draft to build and keep the fire going. However, now whenever I open the door I get a fairly large spillage of smoke out the opening. I have the draft control wide open and the blower turned off. How do I prevent this?

stfd26 said:
I'm now burning closer to the front so that I get the full benefit of draft to build and keep the fire going. However, now whenever I open the door I get a fairly large spillage of smoke out the opening. I have the draft control wide open and the blower turned off. How do I prevent this?
Open the door slowly, if you are still getting smoke out the door and into your house then your chimney is not drafting properly.

On the draft control, I know the air enters the firebox from a port on the bottom just inside the door. Where on the outside does this air enter?

How do I determine if I have a drafting problem? The fire is burning great, when I first open the door (slowly) there isn't any smoke, but a few seconds after it's open smoke starts coming out. It's not a huge amount, but enough that it causes a heavy smoke smell in the basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.