Unique venting question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jacsnewk

Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Good evening. We have a unique idea and want to see what kind of issues there may be. We purchased an add-on wood furnace last year at a great price with the intention of venting it through the chimney. This will not work however as our chimney is very old (1880s or older) and an inspection showed it is not in the best condition from the attic space up. On top of that, the water heater is currently vented into it, making that another obstacle. The estimates we got on repairing and lining the chimney are not doable at this time.

Details... Hotspot add-on wood furnace. Basement installation. 1 full story and an attic space above. The current chimney is in the wall between the dining room and kitchen. Next to the chimney in the same wall is where the dumbwaiter USED to be, but is now a large, open void from the basement to the kitchen ceiling/attic floor height.

Idea... move the wood furnace over and run the pipe up through the void where the dumbwaiter originally was, through the attic floor and out the roof. Use black pipe while in the basement, triple wall pipe through the attic floor and out the roof.

Questions... from the basement ceiling level up to the attic floor (through the dumbwaiter area), what pipe would we need to safely run through this? The opening is approximately 20 inches square, maybe a little larger. Will black pipe still work here or do we need to go to triple wall at this point? Triple wall is what I'm thinking we need, but wanted to be sure. How much clearance do we need between triple wall pipe and anything nearby? Same for black stove pipe.. how much clearance?

Use doublewall insulated chimney pipe from the basement, all the way to the top...its much better suited to wood burning than triplewall is.
It needs 2" minimum clearance to combustibles.
Stove pipe needs 18" clearance...but, you can cut that down to 9" if it is properly heat shielded.

Reactions: jacsnewk
Use doublewall insulated chimney pipe from the basement, all the way to the top...its much better suited to wood burning than triplewall is.
It needs 2" minimum clearance to combustibles.
Stove pipe needs 18" clearance...but, you can cut that down to 9" if it is properly heat shielded.

Thank you. I will look into double wall.

Thank you. I will look into double wall.
Selkirk supervent from Menards is probably your best buy - if you have Menards in your area.

I do have them within an hour of us. I'm looking online right now.
stove pipe.PNG

would this work?

supervent.com/-/media/selkirk/reference-documents/common/file/product-literature/chimney/supervent-usa/installation-planning-guidesupervent-usa.pdf

Eric