Universal OAK for woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DonTee

Minister of Fire
Dec 1, 2021
Upstate NY
I have a VC Encore right now. I was thinking about getting an OAK for it. I’m building a house, and it’s pretty tight. I noticed when my wife turns on the dryer my draft isn’t as good. My house doesn’t have an Hvac system, and the woodstove and dryer are the only things that vent outside. Well, and plumbing of course.

Anyways, it looks like my stove has a 3” flange on the bottom of the back where I could hook up an outside air kit. If I get a universal kit, or build my own, is it likely I could use it on my next stove when I replace this one? That will probably be in the spring.

Also are there any rules to follow when installing an OAK? I’ve read something about it being lower than the stove. So that reversal doesn’t happen.

I’d like to pickup some flexible aluminum duct (not the kind for dryers, the thicker type) and make my own OAK. Then run it through the wall to one of those aluminum dryer vents that has the little hood. Obviously I would have to remove the little flapper door so it would work.

What do you guys think?

Use a 3" start collar from the hardware store.

The start collar sounds like a good idea. The kits I saw online don’t look like anything fancy. Parts I can get from the hardware store and spend less money total. Also the duct run would be pretty short from the stove out the wall.

Right now I have half the intake on the stove taped off with aluminum tape. I still operate the air control only from medium to low settings, because any higher than that and it takes off.

Has anyone set up a valve or plate where you can control the incoming air on your OAK to control the fire better when the draft is strong?
Honestly when my wife was running the dryer was the first time I noticed the stove running poorly. Usually the draft is strong.

I have a flue damper now, and that helps out, but sometimes it seems like the wrong way to go about controlling the fire.