Universal pilot head assembly - Vanguard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chicago Jeff

Nov 2, 2021
Aurora IL
Hello! I have a 20-year old Vanguard (Desa) direct vent fireplace that was installed when my house was built. Now it has stopped working. One fireplace company told me it needs a new pilot head assembly, but since Vanguard is no longer in business, it can't locate a replacement part. Another company suggested trying to repair it with a universal pilot head assembly at an install and unit cost of $460 with no guarantee that it will work. The alternative is to replace my unit and mantel at a cost of $8,000. Any opinions on the chances of a universal unit working? Thank you very much for any feedback.

Hello! I have a 20-year old Vanguard (Desa) direct vent fireplace that was installed when my house was built. Now it has stopped working. One fireplace company told me it needs a new pilot head assembly, but since Vanguard is no longer in business, it can't locate a replacement part. Another company suggested trying to repair it with a universal pilot head assembly at an install and unit cost of $460 with no guarantee that it will work. The alternative is to replace my unit and mantel at a cost of $8,000. Any opinions on the chances of a universal unit working? Thank you very much for any feedback.
IHP is handling legacy parts for Desa fireplaces. https://ihp.us.com/

Can you post a pic of the pilot assembly & the gas valve?
Hope this is what you're asking about.

20211102_190942.jpg 20211102_190843.jpg

That's the gas Valve. It looks like a
SIT valve so that's a good thing,
because there are parts available.
Need a pic of the pilot assembly. It's in the firebox

Last edited:
Neither of them is what I need to see.
The pilot assembly is where the pilot burns in the
firebox - where the flames are.
You may have to remove the glass & the logs to get a pic of it.