Unknown Resolute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jomama

Dec 31, 2012
Thurman NY
OK Lads, here goes with my first post. I recently had an old Resolute given to me with the story that it was delivered new, was dropped and broken. The dealer replaced it and also gave the owner all the parts to repair it. Now the duy I got it from had it given to him and who known the true history. He gave me a load of parts with it but on a quick scan they look like grates and parts for a coal kit. The stove is very rusty but will clean up . So here is my question, The plate on the rear says its a Resolute parlor stove . Nothing else. Ser#is 014888 . Is there any way to narrow down the mfg date ? Also in the kit of parts there is an ash pan but there isn't any ash door on it. I will get a couple of pics to post . There is a hole in the front to the left of the door which hinges down and also a hole on the left side ( facing it) which appears to let air into a chamber which is inside and attached to the inner rear . (secondary?) I was told there is a moveable spring loaded cover to adjust the secondary air supply but the cover and spring are missing. Does this unit need fire bricks or just a sand liner on the floor? Any help is really appreciated.

Good luck! Sometimes the backplate when you open the doors has a year cast into it. At least mine does for 1988.Just open the front door and look to the back surface wall inside the firebox.

Each of the castings should be dated, and if you look carefully at the inside of the door for example, you may be able to find it, mo./day/year. If it has a single door that drops open like an oven, then it is a Res. I mfg. from 1979-1982 or so. Somewhere on this site there should be alink to the owner's manual which is worth having. Ash pan is used only w/the coal kit, no seperate door. No bricks needed, just 1 1/2" of sand or ash or cat litter in the bottom before firing. By the way, don't bother w/coal in that stove just use it a sis for wood. Much better.

This could be a great stove or it could be a world of trouble, only by burning it will you know for sure. Good luck!!!

It is indeed marked 1979 on the inside and on the back of the stove. But as I have read before they all have that maring as it was the year of the patent. Does anyone know about the side draft hole I mentioned ?. Should it have a swinging teardrop like cover on it?

OK Lads here is another question .Regarding the lever to which the temp control spring is attached, Is it threaded into the back of the stove? It had been broken off prior to my ownership. Most any of the screws that I have removed up to this point would have never come out without the old acetylene torch and this one is so small it looks like its going to be a problem . Its broken off flush with the back and I dont want to drill and create another problem by wiping out the existing threads and having to go oversize. Also , anyone have any ideas as to when the Models switched from resolute to I II & lll . Just an idea to help narrow down the age. Thanks

So yeah, there should indeed be a cover for the 2ndary air hole.

The draft control thingy doesn't necessarily have to be located exactly where the old hole is, one can often drill a completely new hole, but it has to be as close as poss. to the old hole. Like 1/4" or less away. So you just drill and tap, 10-24.

Res. III began 6/29/83 thru 6/14/88. Prior to this were Res I &II. Easiest way to tell I from II is the griddle. II griddle sits flush w/the top, I has a raised griddle. Both I & II have the oven door, while theIII of course has the double front doors. Best stove they ever made IMHO.

the hole on the front of the stove was for the shaker rod on the coal kit. Hopefully there is athreaded plug in it. The ash pan is also for the coal kit and just sat under the shakers in the firebox

OK so now I have an answer to that question. I do have what appears to be a brand new coal kit for this stove but won't be using it so I will plug the hole. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.