Unusual amount of back puffs this year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MishMouse

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2008
Verndale, MN
Typically I only get about 3 or 4 a year and only when the temp is above 40.

This year I am getting some major poofs almost every time I close the draft and send it into the AB cycle.
I know the back puff is caused by a buildup of gasses that ignite and give the back puff.

But, like I stated, prior to this years burning this typically only happened when the temp was above 40 and never when it has been below 32.

Could one of my internal gaskets of the stove be worn out causing this unusual number of back puffs?

I don't know the internals of your stove, so I can't guess at what structurally could be causing this.
Have you done a thorough cleaning? Ash buildup in the AB area will do exactly what you're saying by blocking exhaust flow.
Is this happening with the primary air wide open? Or after you've taken the primary way down?

I got it a lot last year with semi-seasoned wood. The only time I've seen it this year was when I killed the primary air too fast.

Poor draft or poor wood (or both) usually causes the back puffing. Naturally that will also depend somewhat upon the outside weather. More low pressure systems than normal? High winds?

Poor draft and not-seasoned wood used to cause bad backpuffing here. Last summer we poured perlite around the single-wall SS liner and the logs are 1-2 years seasoned. No more backpuffing at all. Could there be some restriction in your flue?

Status
Not open for further replies.