Up to date Hearth Codes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fireboss1237

Nov 25, 2015
Dillsburg PA
I need the codes for a DIY hearth. The Blaze King set me back and the wife and I dont like any manufacturer's hearth's, so I want to make my own. Can someone share a link to exactly the measurements, materials etc. I'm seeing conflicting info on the internet. I'm guessing I could call my local municipality about it. But figured I start here.

Thanks

I need the codes for a DIY hearth. The Blaze King set me back and the wife and I dont like any manufacturer's hearth's, so I want to make my own. Can someone share a link to exactly the measurements, materials etc. I'm seeing conflicting info on the internet. I'm guessing I could call my local municipality about it. But figured I start here.

Thanks
Start with the owners manual for the stove. You will find that the BK only requires ember protection so it could be a sheet of metal, glass, or grouted tile.

These requirements are very stove specific.

Start with the owners manual for the stove. You will find that the BK only requires ember protection so it could be a sheet of metal, glass, or grouted tile.

These requirements are very stove specific.
Thanks for the advice. Just trying to avoid home insurance issues. My last stove they made me take a million photos and measurement. Didn't want to make one and them give crap and say it's not up to code

Thanks for the advice. Just trying to avoid home insurance issues. My last stove they made me take a million photos and measurement. Didn't want to make one and them give crap and say it's not up to code

As a seller of insurance they can require anything they want, including ridiculous things and things above code and manufacturer requirements. You can switch insurers. I had to do that when I put a stove in an outbuilding to maintain insurance.

As a seller of insurance they can require anything they want, including ridiculous things and things above code and manufacturer requirements. You can switch insurers. I had to do that when I put a stove in an outbuilding to maintain insurance.
Wow, guess your the man to know. I will call the insurance company and look at my owners manual before making it

Wow, guess your the man to know. I will call the insurance company and look at my owners manual before making it
Yes the owners manual will tell you what's required. But he is right an insurance company can make up whatever requirements they want. Generally if you know the code and explain it to them they will accept that but not always. We deal with them allot.

Reactions: Highbeam
Yes, some underwriters will only go by NFPA211 inspite of the fact that the modern stove has been UL tested to closer clearances and lighter hearth requirements. If the insurance co. insists on 36" clearances and an R=1.16 hearth pad, that's a good time to consider a new insurance company.
That said, if you want to build your own hearth, there is no harm in building in extra protection. Our install exceeds the minimum clearances, hearth extension and insulation requirements for our stove.

Reactions: BKVP and Highbeam