Upcountry softwood pellets, has anyone tried them?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jul 25, 2008
Southern Maine
Hello,
I ordered 3 tons of La Crete and the business called saying they didn't have any and would swap in Upcountry wood pellets. I can't seem to find any reviews on that pellet. Has anyone tried these?

You will not find a review .
They are new on the market
Made in Quebec Canada
Softwood pellets
  • Ash Content – 0.3%
  • BTU Value (Heat Content) – 8,880
  • Fines – Less Than .50
  • Moisture Content – 4.32
  • Pellet Length – ¼” -1”

Ran some last year. But was the hardwood/softwood mix. They were just "ok". And ran dirty and I had to clean my stove out more often.
Haven't tried the straight softwood.
I've spoken to the owner several times and Upcountry is their house brand. Not sure who actually manufactures them.

Agreed that these Upcountry Wood Pellets run dirty. Lots of fines these Upcountry Wood Pellets too. My stove was cleaned last night, even pulled the auger to clean it as it started squeaking. Today the glass is already starting to get dirty, one single bag. Awful product in my opinion. The heat seems good but they burn so dirty I'll never use them again or recommend them to anyone. Now just to power through the remaining set. Good grief.

You'd think the vendor would know better but I guess they're just looking for the sale. I'll never use them again or recommend them either.

Reactions: Mt Bob and WPW
Agreed that these Upcountry Wood Pellets run dirty. Lots of fines these Upcountry Wood Pellets too. My stove was cleaned last night, even pulled the auger to clean it as it started squeaking. Today the glass is already starting to get dirty, one single bag. Awful product in my opinion. The heat seems good but they burn so dirty I'll never use them again or recommend them to anyone. Now just to power through the remaining set. Good grief.

You'd think the vendor would know better but I guess they're just looking for the sale. I'll never use them again or recommend them either.
I am so sorry you are having a hard time with these. If you would like we did finally start receiving Lacrete pellets in. If it is not to late we can come make the exchange. I wish we would have known these were not burning well for you so we could have helped with the issue. Please give me a call.

I am so sorry you are having a hard time with these. If you would like we did finally start receiving Lacrete pellets in. If it is not to late we can come make the exchange. I wish we would have known these were not burning well for you so we could have helped with the issue. Please give me a call.
Welcome to the site, and that is a nice offer.