(updated) I got to play with my new toy :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Ok - so after much reading about the wonders of the Fiskars splitting axe and keeping an eye out for one, I finally picked one up yesterday. It is much smaller and lighter than I had expected even after all the comments to that effect. Now, it was raining all day yesterday and today we have all sorts of family things scheduled. ARG! I want to get outside and play with my toy to see what it can do for me. I have a few oak rounds that my maul was bouncing off that I want to see if I can finally split. Oh the frustration of having to wait.

Humph. Venting mode off :) Thanks for listening, heh.

Turned into a nice day and was able to go out and play :) Kids were happy enough to tear up the backyard while my wife rested inside so... off into the woods behind the yard with the new splitting axe to revisit those pesky rounds that wouldn't split before...

Well - I got 4 of them split up and stacked. Doesn't sound like much but I'm quite happy as I really didn't have a lot of time.. and I took a detour in the plans when my girls pointed out a dead tree so I had to see how this thing worked as an axe :) Yup - it isn't bad there either. It was a small dead standing oak - no more than 6" at the base so it was small work to take it down then section it to drag the pieces up to the yard to cut with the chainsaw (I either need to get a longer extension cord or a gas chainsaw eh?). So I split up the splittable pieces of that tree as well to put in the pile, cut the splits from the rounds down to stove length (they were all well over 20" in length, thus the problems splitting them with the maul I'm sure).

So my observations of this splitting axe - quite a nice tool. Was easy to swing and I honestly didn't mind the short handle after the first few blows (I'm 6'1 so I was afraid after all the reviews that I'd be "too tall" to like it). I do put smaller rounds up on a block to split though so that probably helps (always have done that, leftover habit from boy scout training?). The lighter weight and shorter handle made it easier to hit my intended mark each time - and I actually improved my aim as time went on (unlike the maul where fatigue probably set in making it harder to keep my aim). The large oak rounds I started with were about 25" or so long and at least 18" in diameter. A couple had knots in them and all have been down for a few years but 'stored' if you can call it that sitting vertical on the ground like someone wanted them to take root again. VERY wet inside - I don't think I'll be burning them this fall somehow. With my maul I spent 45 minutes on one round last winter getting almost nowhere - partially due to the punky ends of the round absorbing much of the impact force I think. Today I was able to split planks off the sides within a reasonable number of swings - far from the "one swing and it's off" utopia some folks would lead you to believe, but perhaps that's because I'm not the strongest guy (I'm tall but thin, more of the long distance runner build type). I was simply pleased to get these rounds split up so that I could move them and then get them cut to length.

Another point - the whole "non-stick coating" thing that I read about and observed on the blade... well, I suspect that may be a bit of a marketing gimmick. I say this because after just this one afternoon of a couple hours splitting, the coating appears to have pretty much worn off the working surfaces of the blade so I don't expect it to do much going forward. Mind you it seems like a great idea, but how anyone could expect it to stay on I don't know...

Overall I think I'm happy to add this tool to my collection. I will use it a while longer before I go actually recommending folks to rush out to buy it.. I'd also like to try other splitting axes, but it does seem well made and certainly does the trick nicely.

Most of all it sure was nice to get a chance to go play with the new toy... I need more new toys. Anyone want to recommend a good wheel barrow for use in the woods? or perhaps a cart or something like it? getting those splits out of there still was a chore and a half.. they sure are heavy!

I use a P handle hand truck that I pull, not push. For really big rounds, get a landscaper's tree dolly. They have big tires and can handle the weight.

100_0302.jpg

now that is a nice pile of wood!

I use a hand truck with tubed tires. I added a piece of plywood to it so my smaller pieces and bucked branches and limbs dont fall through. works great because you can push or pull it. I use a piece of AC eletric wire to wrap around my bucked rounds, so they dont fall off. for a long haul out of the woods I cut my rounds into 3 log lengths (for me is 3 x 17" = 51") this way I can get 3 out and dont worry about them falling off also I make 1 trip instead of 3. one 17" seems to want to make the cart stand up, where the three log lengths balence it out better for a 12" - 16" round. any bigger rounds I cut into 2 log lengths 34". Electric wire is strong and is easy to twist it around the pole of cart rather then to tie a rope. The hand truck is nice so I don't tear up peoples grass too when the ground gets soft, for the people that let me in their yard for wood but are anal about their lawns. The cart is nice for moving big rounds over to the splitting area or to pull it up on the trailer too.
Good luck!!!

Attachments

• P5080004a.jpg
    P5080004a.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 639
I use a regular wheelbarrow to get rounds out of the woods. Lawn tractor and cart if I can get to it without tearing the mowing deck off. I use a Jet Sled in the winter.

My wood used to look like LLigetfa's. Unforturnatly, the snow melted and it is scattered EVERYWHERE! Lesson learned.

I'm intrigued by these Fiskars Splitters. I saw one today at a Menard's. It was $34 plus tax. Is that a good deal?

It really does look small. I would expect to have to work around the edges of logs.

That's a better price than I paid, but only by about $5. I don't think any one tool is perfect for everything but despite it's small size I think you will likely be impressed with what you can do. If you can't find someone to loan you one for a test drive then it looks like you will have to take that $34+tax risk to find out, but I'm not upset with my $40 spent here.

jdinspector said:
I'm intrigued by these Fiskars Splitters. I saw one today at a Menard's. It was $34 plus tax. Is that a good deal?

It really does look small. I would expect to have to work around the edges of logs.
Yep that's a good price. I just paid $39.99 + tax a couple weeks ago. Buy it. It's worth it. I don't have a lot of experience with wood burning/cutting/splitting yet, but I swear I could split wood faster with the Fiskars Super Splitter than with a hydraulic one. I was setting up 3 rounds at a time, and they would be in pieces in about 15 seconds.

Spikem said:
I wonder if some are "confusing" the Fiskars Super Splitting Axe with the Fiskars Pro Chopping Axe.

Fiskars 7858 Pro Chopping Axe - http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-7858-...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1239148260&sr=1-1

Fiskars 7854 Super Splitting Axe - http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-7854-...2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1239148260&sr=1-2

From what I hear, the 7854 is the one to get. I'm still waiting.

Yes, 7854 is the one to get. We are splitting wood, not chopping it. It is an awesome tool for increased productivity.

Spikem said:
I wonder if some are "confusing" the Fiskars Super Splitting Axe with the Fiskars Pro Chopping Axe.

Fiskars 7858 Pro Chopping Axe - http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-7858-...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1239148260&sr=1-1

Fiskars 7854 Super Splitting Axe - http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-7854-...2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1239148260&sr=1-2

From what I hear, the 7854 is the one to get. I'm still waiting.

Or the 23.5 in splitting ax

http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/s...01&langId;=-1&catalogId=10101&productId=10530

Ya know - interesting discussion... I looked more closely and turns out I'm using the lighter "Pro" version.... Now I need to dig up the "Super" one with the 4lb head and see what it can do! More new toys! heh... should I try and sell off this one on CL or keep it... Hmmm.... It is still quite a nice tool, but I wonder if I get the larger one if I'll ever want to use the smaller... Perhaps I'll get the satisfying single swing splits that folks have raved about yet once I'm actually using the RIGHT axe!

That is where I got mine too... ordered on Monday, splitting on Friday. (rained Thursday, or I would have gone straight from the "box" to the woods)

Got mine yesterday. I went out in the rain with it. What a great tool! I have some old, kinda punky wood that I was given. It might be elm. My old maul just bounced off it, or went in a bit and got stuck. The Fiskars went right through! It is as good as they say it is. It is pretty sharp and should be used with a little more care than the old maul.

Status
Not open for further replies.