Upgrade to BK or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Psass55

Oct 19, 2015
Western Pennsylvania
i currently have a PE Spectrum classic with all the nickel trim, legs, and door; i think it's one of the best looking stoves I have seen. We really like it and it does a good job heating out split level 2000 sq. ft. home nicely from a central location in the lower level near the stairs. Recently I found a pretty good deal on a BK king classic with gold door and blower kit. I was told it was 7 years old and only burned for 2 seasons (picture attached). I am wondering if it is worth the hassle to change it out from our current setup? Will I notice a big difference in heat output? I know burn time will be way better but I am more curious about constant heat output. Also, can a BK use an adapter down to a 6 inch pipe? I have attached pictures of my current stove and the BK that is for sale. Thanks for the opinions.

Attachments

• IMG_3913.JPG
    IMG_3913.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_3911.jpg
    IMG_3911.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 149
i currently have a PE Spectrum classic with all the nickel trim, legs, and door; i think it's one of the best looking stoves I have seen. We really like it and it does a good job heating out split level 2000 sq. ft. home nicely from a central location in the lower level near the stairs. Recently I found a pretty good deal on a BK king classic with gold door and blower kit. I was told it was 7 years old and only burned for 2 seasons (picture attached). I am wondering if it is worth the hassle to change it out from our current setup? Will I notice a big difference in heat output? I know burn time will be way better but I am more curious about constant heat output. Also, can a BK use an adapter down to a 6 inch pipe? I have attached pictures of my current stove and the BK that is for sale. Thanks for the opinions.

You like the looks and performance of your current stove. Why are you even considering upgrading? You haven't mentioned one thing you are unhappy with. Don't try to fix something that isn't broken.

Reactions: James02
Not often that I agree with Woody, sometimes I come close to spanking his posts. ;lol

But he is dead on with this one. There is stove Kool Aid too. Keep what is keeping you warm, happy, installed and paid for.

You have a good looking stove there. The thing with the king is that you will have possibly more control over burn rates that at the same time will give you some saving on wood usage. Once awhile you hear people using it with an adapter but is not recommended. Is hard to tell you that you will be making the right decision regardless I am a BK fan.lol It requires 8" chimney for good performance.

My only issue with my setup is overnight burning. It does well as long as it doesn't get below mid 20's outside. Anything below that and it struggles to keep the house warm for an overnight burn. With only a 2 cu. ft. Firebox I don't think it's fair to expect it to keep 2000 foot house heated all night when it's 10 degrees out. But it sounds like people think adapting to a 6 inch pipe is a bad idea so I think I have my answer. Thanks for all the opinions!

I know you said it was a good deal but if you still want to replace it with one that give you an overnight burn, there are a lot of option out there with 6" pipe that will get you thru the night. If looking in specific into BK line, you have lot of choices also.

I have and Alderlea t5 insert with the same size firebox as your stove and I too struggled to heat my 2200 sq ft house when it gets below 20. You might consider some insulation upgrades before replacing you stove.
I insulated behind my insert (Roxul) and installed a block off plate. That was enough to help the stove heat down to about 10F.

Reactions: lsucet
You have one of the best non-cats for long burns. Pretty much all stoves are pretty dang good these days but you're right, you're missing out on the better performance of a cat stove. Forget overnight burns, I load the stove at 5 pm and walk right past it in the morning as I leave the house. It's still half full of fuel! Long burn times are awesome!

Yes, if it's in the 20s I might stop as I pass the stove and top it up just to make sure that it is still burning when I get home.

King on a 6" flue. Don't do it.

2000 SF, might look at a summit sized firebox next time. Where's your adventurous spirit? Don't you know the grass is always greener on the other side?

My only issue with my setup is overnight burning. It does well as long as it doesn't get below mid 20's outside. Anything below that and it struggles to keep the house warm for an overnight burn. With only a 2 cu. ft. Firebox I don't think it's fair to expect it to keep 2000 foot house heated all night when it's 10 degrees out. But it sounds like people think adapting to a 6 inch pipe is a bad idea so I think I have my answer. Thanks for all the opinions!
Your dilemma is understandable. I was faced with the same issue when changing out the Castine. I had the choice of getting the T5 which would be good during shoulder seasons and most of the winter, but it would be hard to keep up with temps in the low teens. Or I could go with the T6 and have a stove that was a bit overkill for shoulder season but had more reserves for colder weather. I knew how the Castine struggled with 15º weather so I opted for the T6. We have a heat pump for mild weather heating. The T6 has served us well for 9 seasons and is ready for #10.