upgrade to wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

beermann

Feeling the Heat
Jan 16, 2017
canada
I currently adjust the air flow manually from the side of my wood stove and I do not use a damper for the flue....and I have been playing with the idea of installing an automatic damper to control airflow as it exits the wood stove. Could an automatic damper replace the need for me to constantly adjust the air intake and as a result make my wood stove a set it and forget it operation?

Regardless of using an auto or manual flue damper...would I benefit from using a damper at all? I have a Regency i1100

If that system failed it could lead to smoke and/or fatal carbon monoxide flooding the house. It is far safer to automate the air control. This has been done on some modern stoves and a couple of folks here have done it too.

If that system failed it could lead to smoke and/or fatal carbon monoxide flooding the house. It is far safer to automate the air control. This has been done on some modern stoves and a couple of folks here have done it too.

So it's possible to retro fit a modern stoves air control with an auto control? That sounds like a great project

Reactions: Mech e
Someone posted doing this to a PE stove a few years back. It takes some trial and error.