Upland 107 vs Cawley 800, anyone experienced with both?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pumpkinpicker

Dec 30, 2020
Eastern CT
Hey everyone. Nice forum you have here, I've read many times over the years.

I'm having my chimney restored after 2-300 years of faithful service. Old cape house, stone stack about 8' square in the first floor, 3 granite fireboxes with openings ranging 3-5' square, brick oven. I'll be splitting the job with a world class restoration mason with a lifetime of experience, and I'm about eight years into technical research, so the history is in safe hands. I've been heating the 1450 sqft house for those eight years with an Upland 107 on a stainless liner through one of the flues, exclusively til about a year ago. At that point we installed a wall hung propane boiler and 30kbtu modine in the basement, to allow us to step away in the winter if we chose to, keeping the plumbing alive. This winter, pre-empting the chimney work, I'm adding six iron radiators to the first floor to complete a modern heating system. I wouldn't consider removing a stove from the equation once the work is done though. I enjoy cutting wood, I dislike buying propane, I love having a fire going, and I value the analog option very highly.

About five years ago I picked up a Cawley 800 on a bet that I could lift it. On getting it home, I read (here) what a well liked stove it was. The plan has since then been to swap it into one of the hearths once the masonry work was done, and swap out the Upland 107. But now that that time is close at hand, I'm having a hard time thinking about saying goodbye to the thus far flawless Upland. It's in good shape, I know exactly how to run it with different wood and weather etc, and more than anything it's become our little friend! We sit with it every night. I don't want two hearths used for stoves, and I don't want an added exterior chimney. I want to know which one stove you'd all choose, and I'd be most interested in opinions based in experience. Can you sell me on a better heating experience with the Cawley, or are they both just solid old stoves in the same class? I'll be keeping one as a spare for the other.

Looking forward to the replies, thanks!
Alex

Hey everyone. Nice forum you have here, I've read many times over the years.

I'm having my chimney restored after 2-300 years of faithful service. Old cape house, stone stack about 8' square in the first floor, 3 granite fireboxes with openings ranging 3-5' square, brick oven. I'll be splitting the job with a world class restoration mason with a lifetime of experience, and I'm about eight years into technical research, so the history is in safe hands. I've been heating the 1450 sqft house for those eight years with an Upland 107 on a stainless liner through one of the flues, exclusively til about a year ago. At that point we installed a wall hung propane boiler and 30kbtu modine in the basement, to allow us to step away in the winter if we chose to, keeping the plumbing alive. This winter, pre-empting the chimney work, I'm adding six iron radiators to the first floor to complete a modern heating system. I wouldn't consider removing a stove from the equation once the work is done though. I enjoy cutting wood, I dislike buying propane, I love having a fire going, and I value the analog option very highly.

About five years ago I picked up a Cawley 800 on a bet that I could lift it. On getting it home, I read (here) what a well liked stove it was. The plan has since then been to swap it into one of the hearths once the masonry work was done, and swap out the Upland 107. But now that that time is close at hand, I'm having a hard time thinking about saying goodbye to the thus far flawless Upland. It's in good shape, I know exactly how to run it with different wood and weather etc, and more than anything it's become our little friend! We sit with it every night. I don't want two hearths used for stoves, and I don't want an added exterior chimney. I want to know which one stove you'd all choose, and I'd be most interested in opinions based in experience. Can you sell me on a better heating experience with the Cawley, or are they both just solid old stoves in the same class? I'll be keeping one as a spare for the other.

Looking forward to the replies, thanks!
Alex
Does the 800 have a combustion grid like the 400 and 600? I had a 600 I used for a few years and absolutely loved it. For its age it burnt very clean

Does the 800 have a combustion grid like the 400 and 600? I had a 600 I used for a few years and absolutely loved it. For its age it burnt very clean
Nothing I've ever had for it, if it ever did have one.. just firebox, baffle, exit pipe. It does have two air intake manifolds with two separate metering knobs.. pretty cool.