Upland 207 cat upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushman1

Mar 12, 2009
Northern Michigan
I found a really clean and unusually fresh old Upland 207 stove. The stove needs legs, found those and otherwise is ready to go. I just seem to remember seeing somewhere that there was a catalytic conversion available for this stove. I came across this pretty burn box for $50.00. I am getting out of the coal stove business and have not yet settled on my next wood burner. Am I just pissing up a rope hoping to find a good reason to integrate an old wood stove a primary heater? I am really hung up on the cool looking older stoves and am trying to find someone to at least lie to me and say that the new stoves only look good on paper. I have researched a few older threads and have even read that someone was going to ditch their EPA Morso 3610 and go back and rebuild their trusty Upland because they thought it burned better. If only the Jotul Black Bear was bigger, I could have my cake and eat it to.

Bushman, of Northern Michigan

I would not do anything with a cat.
As far as that stove - burned right, with good wood and a decent chimney...and are reasonable settings, it will perform nicely. Quite close, possibly, to some newer stoves.
But on very low fires it will not do as well.

These were not real hogs - like some older stoves. The fireboxes are not too large, so you can get a hot burn.

The last wood stove I burnt was a Super 27 by Pacific Energy and I had nothing but good luck with it and my wife was happy with it also. I considered it a microwave, an old clunky one at that and had to get an exotic Olsberger Hutte coal stove. I then changed to an Esse Vista so I could also burn bituminous coal and finally went to an Ashley ASA7 which is a Harman copy. I can not say coal was bad to me but it was not easy to come by. I live in Northern Michigan and wood grows on trees up here. I have friends who grow wood, one has a firewood processor and another is a lumberjack. I was the pariah lately, when I got snooty--er got sooty and burnt coal.

I found a Cawley Lemay 400 for $200.00 (pristine), would an Upland 207 be a better wood stove for heating? I live in a 1800+ square foot ranch in the Straits of Mackinaw area. There is a Jotul Black Bear sitting on the floor of Emmet Brick and Block in Petoskey,MI and it does not have my name on it, only my eyes. I just might buy the Jotul and say come what may, but these other interesting stoves had to come into my sights also. Any advice appreciated.

Bushman

It sounds like you are dollar driven Bushman. If the Upland is in excellent condition I'd jump on it. If not, maybe pass. If you do get the Upland, keep it clean by burning only well seasoned wood and not letting the fire smolder. With good burning practices it could be a nice segway from the dark side. :).

I'd buy the Cawley just to have it...........no way I'd let that thing pass.
In terms of actual firebox, the Cawley and the 207 may be similar is sq. ft.

Both are bigger than the Bear Jotul.

No one can tell you what to get, especially given your past history, but in colder weather like that a properly used Cawley or Upland will do a nice job.
However, coming from coal you are going to have to become used to shorter burn times....or else get a much larger firebox....probably a newer stove, and perhaps even a cat (Blaze King, etc).

It all depends....but, man, snap up that Cawley if you have a place to store it...

I think that I will just buy the Upland and Cawley stoves. I really am not on the cheap side at all when it comes to stoves, probably more on the frivilous side if anything. If the Jotul Black Bear was the size of a Jotul 121 Elg, it would be in my house burning wood, right now. Too bad it seems that most new stoves really look similar. I am a treasure hunter by nature and probably spend too much time looking for whatever it is at the present time.

Bushman

Status
Not open for further replies.