Upper Baffle plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trapdadx2

Oct 7, 2018
Wishing not California
Good day all .
I am running a Buck model 81 . Bought the stove new in around 2004-2005 . Absolutely love the stove . I only have burned seasoned 12-18 month almond wood. Over the past couple of years i seem to be burning less efficient . Had a good flu clean out this year and began looking in stove for issues . I noticed the baffle plate was extremely warped and the fiber blanket burnt through at several spots . Can this be the cause of low efficiency ? I plan on repairing it any ways . The main question I have is can the plate and blanket be replaced by using baffle bricks , SAFELY ???? Or by putting baffle bricks ontop of a new plate . ? Should the plate fit fairly tightly against the sides of the stove , or should it have gaps around it ? Should the blanket match the size of the plate ? Also the bricks that line the sides and back dont seem to have been cut to fit tightly . I am assuming there should be as little of gaps as possible . Do the gaps really matter ?
Thanks in advance for any helpful comments

A proper insulated baffle is important to this stove's clean burning efficiency. Once the baffle gets badly warped there is a good change for hot wood gases to bypass the baffle. It should be fixed before the start of the season to avoid potential damage to other parts of the stove.

Contact Buck (828) 765-6144 or your Buck dealer. They may have changed from a metal baffle to a vermiculite board on this model. If so, that is what should be used.
https://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/buck-81-85-top-baffle-board-po-bpfb81b-p/po-bpfb81b.htm