UPS back-up for Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Gas and that constant, horrible engine rumbling.
3.7 gallon tank. 9 hours run time per tank. db is low On the generator I ordered. The reviews said you don't have to talk loud to hear over the motor. Got high ratings!!

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ssyko and dotman17
3.7 gallon tank. 9 hours run time per tank. db is low On the generator I ordered. The reviews said you don't have to talk loud to hear over the motor. Got high ratings!!

Nice. There are a few solutions out there and none of them are perfect. We needed to fix our chimney flue and cap so I had 'em put in a wood stove flue. That fixed both those issues. Sure it set me back some put I love having both types of stoves in my house.

Reactions: Ssyko
Nice. There are a few solutions out there and none of them are perfect. We needed to fix our chimney flue and cap so I had 'em put in a wood stove flue. That fixed both those issues. Sure it set me back some put I love having both types of stoves in my house.
We would love to do the same in our 200 year old home but. Both chimneys need completely rebuilt. 3 story house. I don't want that bill lol!!

Reactions: Ssyko and dotman17
I would guess that trying to start a stove on an UPS will deplete the battery before the pellets are on fire. The UPS is to keep the stove going once it's running, as the fans and auger are relatively easy loads to the UPS. The ignitor is a more demanding resistive load.

Yep. UPS essentially buys you enough time to shut off your pellet stove before the gases start filling your room.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ssyko and Vand M
Or u could just get a auto start for your gen so it will kick in on power failure.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Auto switching is great but they are expensive. It starts generator when detect grid power is out shuts of grid power and turns on generator. Then when grid power comes back on it reverses the swith back to grid and shuts down generator. generac makes a nice system prices start at 5k

I did a quick eBay search and the pricing seemed pretty reasonable. About the same price as a battery unit.

I did a quick eBay search and the pricing seemed pretty reasonable. About the same price as a battery unit.

Does it matter if it is simulated sine wave or pure sine wave backup??

Does it matter if it is simulated sine wave or pure sine wave backup??

Assuming I'm understanding the question. I don't know of any pure sine standby generators. All the major ones by Generac, B&S, Kohler, etc. are simulated, ie square waves.

You could get a large inverter generator, which most likely has a pure sine output, but they tend to be expensive, and not all that powerful, 3000watts. Also, typically 120volt, so they can't run anything requiring 240volts.

Reactions: Ssyko and Vand M
Assuming I'm understanding the question. I don't know of any pure sine standby generators. All the major ones by Generac, B&S, Kohler, etc. are simulated, ie square waves.

You could get a large inverter generator, which most likely has a pure sine output, but they tend to be expensive, and not all that powerful, 3000watts. Also, typically 120volt, so they can't run anything requiring 240volts.
The pellet stove I have is 120V. 350 starting watts at 2.6 amps. Then drops to 2.3. So a 2000 watt inverter gen should be able to run it with no probs. Its leas then half load.

All mechanical generators (an engine spinning an alternator) put out low distortion (<5%) sinewaves.....pretty much a pure sinewave. You can buy a 9KW Generac fully automatic back-up generator, with automatic transfer switch, for about $2500...plus installation.

Last edited:
All mechanical generators (an engine spinning an alternator) put out low distortion (<5%) sinewaves.....pretty much a pure sinewave. You can buy a 9KW Generac fully automatic back-up generator, with automatic transfer switch, for about $2500...plus installation.

we have a 7500 Generac and a transfer box with 10 circuits so that we can run any hardwired rooms, appliances or whatever..
900.00 for the electric start genny and 250.00 for the transfer box..
when power goes out, i don't worry about dirty power or messing up my pellet stove circuit board.
i just run the oil furnace off of the genny.. problem solved..

If you're only planning on running the stove and a few other things, then a pure sine inverter generator, 2000w, would work. That's the type that is commonly used for RVing and tailgating. Quiet, uses little gas, clean power.

Reactions: Vand M
The computer on our pellet stove says "no pellets" which is not true. There are pellets in it and it works for a short while then we get that message, "no pellets". This is a brand new pellet stove installed on January 28, 2021. Called the company that we bought it from, and you guessed it, person is out sick,

Welcome to the forums Frodo001 If you created a new thread with the make and model of stove you would get more replies.

Last edited:
My generator and UPS is in my signature. They work great even together. I can run at least an hour on UPS only.. Just replaced batteries in it. LCD screen was unreadable..