Ups battery help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jerl77

Burning Hunk
Nov 24, 2016
Brookhaven
What size battery do I need for a Englander pvd-25
Power went out the other day and filled the house with smoke
I want to run a battery instead of a 5 foot pipe on the front of my house

Not sure about Englander but I have an APC-750 something or other which was recommended in my Harman manual. They work for shutdown etc; also when the electric goes down. Maybe Google: Which UPS works with the Englander PDV-25??? The one I have would likely work but not sure.

There are many available and many are similar. I'm not an electronics guy though so research a bit. Good Luck.

Depending how much power you need for shut down., you would need to know amperage draw. & time. .And if you are home when the power goes out you can shut it down , other wise it will run till battery dies. I have the Cyberpower Pure Sine wave 15000PCFLCD. Gives me plenty of time to get the generator out or shut down...

The 25-pdv and 25-pdvc will run for a maximum 54 min or till the stove reaches 70::F. Keep that in mind

Ok with the stove just going into shut down and no igniter involved it will use about 250-300 watts which is around 2.0-2.5 amp. And depending on the battery size will dictate how long it will power the stove. Ballparking i would look at the 1500w and up to power the stove for an hour

A meter will tell you how much it draws while running.
Watching it will tell you how long it takes to burn down.
You'll still need to figure out how to tell it to stop feeding pellets.
I'm planning on doing something with relays and thermostat
circuit but I'm (still) not there yet....

Cheers,
- Jeff

Got a meter I will preform the test tomorrow and go from there
I was going to get one of those alarm that go off when the power goes off to get up and shut down the stove ...
Let’s see what it takes to shut this thing day
Stay tuned lol

The question is are you going to be home when the power goes out. If not, then you need some way for the UPS to tell the stove to shut down. Now if someone was smart, and could make something to put between the circut to shut off the auger power if the house loses power (can't be that hard) then the UPS would only need to run some 20 min.

Power loss to the house, the relay closed by home powered solnoide is opened, the auger loses power and the stove (running off a UPS) burns off the pellets, and the controller gets "no heat" signal after 10 min and the stove shuts down.