ups

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Usually, fines in the bags are caused by excessive handling. If they got wet, they would 'puff up' and fall apart, whole bag. Why I buy mine (pellets) on shipping pallets and never individual bags. The more times they are handled after initial packaging, the more fines you get. The only time mine get handled is when I roast them besides being placed on pallets at the extruder.

Could be how they were stored before you got them. Go see pellets at the place you bought them from if you can.
The place i buy them from are stored on pallet in a new heated building, then transferred by skid to inside the store.. Then from their into my shop... Next few bags i open going to check before i dump in. Its not all fines its small chunks looks like they may have gotten wet at some point

The place i buy them from are stored on pallet in a new heated building, then transferred by skid to inside the store.. Then from their into my shop... Next few bags i open going to check before i dump in. Its not all fines its small chunks looks like they may have gotten wet at some point
Z, one year I had about 10 bags,middle of a ton,that about 1/2 each bag was dust.No moisture.Apparently the die press machine screwed up.Rest of the ton was fine.

Moisture content of the raw materials, if it isn’t just right you will get that. Some pieces will fall through the die and end up as power in the bag.

The place where I get mine, store them outside in the weather, never an issue. All skids are shrink wrapped with a plastic shroud over them and shrink wrapped again