US STOVE 6041

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattbph

Hearth Supporter
Dec 20, 2010
Dutchess County, NY
Irritating that when I start my pellet stove there is always a smell of smoke for the first hour. This has been happening since I bought the darn thing. After the stove has been on for a while the smell of smoke dissipates and the downstairs seems "normal" again. Is there something wrong with this stove? What I think is happening... smoke is building inside the stove and makes its way through the blower ventilation (where the heat comes from). Can anyone give me an idea as to what is going on? Thanks!
Matt

Could be a small leak in the venting and once things warm up the smoke is helped out of stove by natural draft. Pesky stove adapter to venting has been the cause of many headaches. Silicone self bonding tape can stretch tight an has no hole for smoke to sneak out of

Reactions: Mattbph
My 5502 does that. You gotta goop the hell outta the appliance adapter. Also if using dura vent, well, you'll have smell unless you goop every joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.