US Stove 900 Turning White (Not Overfiring)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

roho1416

Oct 19, 2020
Mercer, WI
I can't seem to find the answer to why my new cabin woodstove is turning white. We have always used a thermometer with it and so I know we aren't overfiring (I've even double-checked at different spots on the stove to make sure). We also sealed all the seams so that the air is controlled. It seems to burn pretty well and heats the cabin without issue, but this white makes me wonder if there's something wrong. I emailed the US Stove company, and they said "that just happens." I have another stove of a better quality at my home and this doesn't "just happen." Will new high temp paint fix this, assuming they've used cheap paint? I'm hoping to use it at least through this winter without doing anything. It's too cold now to take time off burning to paint it before spring. Thanks for any advise!

I can't seem to find the answer to why my new cabin woodstove is turning white. We have always used a thermometer with it and so I know we aren't overfiring (I've even double-checked at different spots on the stove to make sure). We also sealed all the seams so that the air is controlled. It seems to burn pretty well and heats the cabin without issue, but this white makes me wonder if there's something wrong. I emailed the US Stove company, and they said "that just happens." I have another stove of a better quality at my home and this doesn't "just happen." Will new high temp paint fix this, assuming they've used cheap paint? I'm hoping to use it at least through this winter without doing anything. It's too cold now to take time off burning to paint it before spring. Thanks for any advise!
Some pics and telling us what stove it is what temps you are seeing etc might help a bit.

Reactions: roho1416
A8E56C71-9F08-4CD0-88EA-92B6C95455F0.jpeg
Sorry I don’t have a current photo, but it’s quite a bit worse now (probably half white on the sides). I’ve been keeping the thermometer on the side where the temps measure the highest. We have been keeping it in the orange (300-Just under 600 degrees).

I remember my grandpa had a stove like that and it also was white on the sides from the heat. But that was 25 years ago so I don't know how different they are from the ones being made now.

View attachment 265109Sorry I don’t have a current photo, but it’s quite a bit worse now (probably half white on the sides). I’ve been keeping the thermometer on the side where the temps measure the highest. We have been keeping it in the orange (300-Just under 600 degrees).
Just be happy it hasn't cracked yet. They are extremely poor quality castings

Cheap paint does that but so does good paint if you get it hot enough. Regardless, all you can do now is repaint if it bothers you.

High temp paint is really easy to use. Fast drying and pretty hard to run.