US Stove Bay Front

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PCtech

Jan 25, 2014
Wisconsin
I made the mistake a few years ago when I bought a Bay Front stove by US Stove. It sat in my garage new for about a year and a half. When I finally got it installed, it was out of warranty and I have had nothing but problems ever since. Needless to say it is the worst purchase I have ever made.

I have maybe been able to burn three bags in it so the thing is practically new. When it did run, it would start but then stop feeding pellets for about 8 minutes. The fire would then run out and I would have to start it again. I did that about 100 times, so I think it needs a new igniter. When I push the start button, it lights up but nothing is fed and the igniter doesn't do anything. It could be that one of the safety switches activated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anybody need an expensive boat anchor?

Too big for a boat anchor for me:)
Do you have an OAK (outside air kit). These are strongly recommended... for many reasons.

When you start up, does the ignitor glow red? Have you tried a manual light? Can search the threads for different methods... light the pellets then hit the start button.

Unplug the stove when working on it...

Check the high limit switch has not been activated. They usually have a manual reset button on them.

Low limit switch testing from another thread: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/austroflamm-integra-still-no-go.119150/#post-1594824
OK, I removed the low limit switch and it looks fine. I googled it and found it is a normally open switch that closes at 120 degrees. I put an ohm meter on it and it is open. Took hair dryer to it and it closed. I can't say at 120 degrees, but didn't take long. I then put my thumb on the SS tip and it cooled down, and the switch opened. So in my opinion, it probably is ok.

Vacuum switch - disconnect tube from exhaust blower. Ensure tube is clear of ash first. If you suck on the tube, you should hear an audible click.

Low limit and vacuum switch can also be jumper to by-pass switch to test but do not operate stove that way...

Let us know how it goes...

Yes you may have destroyed ignitor,you can always start it manualy.As it would always start and run for a prescribed amount of time,problem is probably with your proof of fire circuit.Try jumping the switch mounted on the combustion blower and see what happens after the start up cycle.Look for unhooked wire/bad connection.

Stupid question....since it was sitting in your garage did mice build a nest somewhere blocking airflow? Or perhaps chew some wires? Or rust form somewhere from the dampness causing parts not to move?

I got it going by trying each of the things you suggested. In the end it started and kept running. It may have been a loose connection. There was nothing obvious though. I ran a wire through the hole that the clear tube connects too. It seems like it might have been blocked. Bypassing the high and low sensor didn't change anything. There may have been a slightly loose connection on the control board, because it was after I pushed in each of the wiring harnesses that it ran correctly. I never did see the ignitor glow this time, but the fire started anyway. Thanks again for all of the help

Status
Not open for further replies.